• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

Wandering To The Right After Fitting New Rear Shocks

HERMAN

HELP I have just fitted new Gaz rear shocks and even when turned to min the car feels like it is wandering or steering from the back. If i accelerate gently in any gear it feels like the near side rear is turning out. The front of the car moves over to wards the right but you get no feel of it through the steering wheel. I have checked the front wishbone bushes and even put a full lock on while trying to drive with the hand brake on. I could not see any movement in any of the bushes. I have run a string around around the car and it has a little more toe in on the offside rear than the near side. It also seems like there is about 13MM more wheel base on the near side. I am wondering if it is crabbing which shows more with acceleration. If I travel along at a constant speed the car travels straight. If I coast along it wanders slightly to the left. could the beam be mounted wrong? How is the best way to check the beam is mounted correctly. Note I have rebulit the beam and fitted it with nylon bushes.

Any ideas welcome?

Cheers

Neil

johnnyboy666

the sandwich mounts (or solid if you have them) are offset, have you got the the right way round?

Toddy

What exactly have you replaced/rebuilt since the change in handling?

New Dampers

Rebuilt Beam

New Beam bushes

Is the bolt which clamps the beam support bracket through the Beam nylon bushes tight? alternatively were the nylon bushes a tight fit?

welshpug

sounds like the behaviour you'd get from a knackered lower balljoint or balljoint clamp in the hub.

HERMAN

Thanks for the replay guys. Sorry I have not reply ed but I have been busy stripping out and refitting the rear beam.

I have checked over all the rear suspension and I can not find any thing wrong. The mounts are all solid and the beam seems to be sitting square in the car. I have rechecked the wheel base and it has got a couple of mm difference between each side.

So I have moved my attention to the front end now. I have found that the tie rods have got play in them at the rack end. I am going to change them later and re track it with a small amount of toe out to see if that helps.

I have given the bottom ball joints and clamps a good looking at. The only thing I could find is that the gap on the drivers clamp is smaller than the passengers side but there is no movement when turning or loading with levers.

I might remove the hubs and have a closer look at the ball joints and hubs.

Cheers

Neil

HERMAN

Found the problem

Near side, rear wishbone bush knacked and off side hub ovaled. May as well fit my vts rack while it's in bits.

Cheers

Neil