• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wavywond

Creeking From Under Floor

Wavywond

Hi all,

I took my Cti to the garrage i usually use because im getting a creeking from under the floor when i set off and go round corners.

He checked all the nuts and bolts on the "Subframe"? it whent away for a while but has come back!

My mechanic says convertables flex more so that could be why? He also wonders if there is supposed to be rubber mounts between the subframe and the car floor?

Have any of you guys got any suggestions?

Thanks H

pug_ham
Hi all,

I took my Cti to the garrage i usually use because im getting a creeking from under the floor when i set off and go round corners.

Does it sound to be coming from the front or the rear of the car?

It sounds like the sign of a dead beam to me. :(

When you stand a little back from the back of the car, are the rear wheels sat with noticable camber like /---\ rather than this |---|?

Not a sure sign it's ok if they are sat |---| but if they have camber it doesn't look good & the whole beam could be scrap.

He checked all the nuts and bolts on the "Subframe"? it whent away for a while but has come back!

My mechanic says convertables flex more so that could be why? He also wonders if there is supposed to be rubber mounts between the subframe and the car floor?

Have any of you guys got any suggestions?

Thanks H

Front or rear subframe?

The front subframe is mounted directly to the body with no rubber mounts between them.

At the back, there should be two sandwich mounts, one under each rear arm but the front is metal to metal.

g

Wavywond

Its from under the front. All the wheels look ok he had it on the ramps and had a look at everything.

It sounds like its from under your feet both sides.

Sinbad

Anti roll bar tight? bushes ok??

Slo

i have a cti too and i would say anti roll bar bushes too as mine has started making a dull squeak noise from the same area as i go over speed ramps or pot holes. also check your brakes arent binding as the brake pads can make a creaking noise if the caliper pistons stick out

Atreides

I'd put money on this being one or both of the front droplinks being shot. Check the rubber on the balljoints for splits. If you find any splits, squirt some grease in....if the noise goes, you've found your culprit.

Sometimes the balljoints on the droplinks just go dry, and will make this noise even if no splits can be found.

pug_ham
I'd put money on this being one or both of the front droplinks being shot. Check the rubber on the balljoints for splits. If you find any splits, squirt some grease in....if the noise goes, you've found your culprit.

UK spec CTI's don't usually have the GTI front subframe with drop links, they use the base model front subframe where the arb forms the rear brace for the wishbone.

g