• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

Notchy Steering

Strictly_Derv

My cars recently developed notchy steering and doesn't centre when turning right.

I jacked it up and checked all the suspension units and they seems fine but the steering was still stiff. It makes a grinding sort of noise when turning the wheel from the column. It's horrible to drive ATM.

Is it the steering column/ universal joint or is it the rack?

Also would like to mention the rack was PAS but has been converted to manual.

Thanks.

m_attt

if you look were the steering column goes through the bulkhead, and pull out the big rubber gromit you will be right on the universal joint so can have a good look/listen.

j_turnell

Could be a few things tbh.

-Seized droplink

-Top mount bearings

-Steering UJ

How is the rack blanked off is it sufficiently lubricated?

dave richards

could it possibly be the top mount bearing collapsed? i know you said you checked the suspension units but i'd have the bearings off and look at them

Edited by dave richards

Daviewonder

Ive got a price for your strut bearings, I ordered them over just in case you wanted them.

Strictly_Derv

My first thoughts were top mount bearings as theres always been a wierd creeking noise from thereoccasionally too which I forgot to mention.

The handling doesn't feel affected atall.

I bunged up the holes with some silicone sealent, not the best but it should do the job.

Cheers Dave, I'll drop you a PM

Thanks for the helps people

Strictly_Derv

Had a quick look at it today by jacking up one side at a time as the jack won't go high enough for an axle stand. Removed the track rods and turned the hub and it seemed to move freely each side. So it must be steering related. The UJ's have a slight knoch when wiggling the wheel and also noticed when I gave the tie rod gaitor area a tug it seemed to have play again.

So i'll probably need a new rack and steering column.

Stephen W

I had a very similar problem with mine. I changed the top mount bearings and it was still the same. As it had new track rods already I ruled that out. So on the next list was a lower uj and the problem is now sorted. The old one was well and truly knackered.

A bit pricey from the dealers but there seems to be a few used ones about for around £20-£30.

Steve.

Strictly_Derv

There's a diesel one down the scrap yard so I might go take that and see if it helps

lagonda

Sounds very like how mine was when the lower uj failed.

Smokeymi16

Best thing is to jack up both sides remove both wheels and track rod ends. and then rotate the shocks and the rack separately. And u will find out what one is stiff and the change what ever part is worn ie top mount bearings or the rack it's self.

Strictly_Derv

I did that but due to a s*it jack could only manage to do one side at a time, so removed the TRE's and turned the hub and both seemed okay. I'm pretty sure it's the UJ now. It seemed much better on the way to Devils Dyke today though.

Need to try source a PAS rack UJ if anyone has one?

Smokeymi16

I don't no what bens got. he's got a pas rack going in his and the rack coming out is a quafe one. Might be able to find out if the dude in Brighton has one got to c him for some bits for mine.

Strictly_Derv

That would be pretty handy if you could, cheers mate!

If I really cant find one I'll probably have to get a non-pas rack with a UJ as the PAS has been removed from mine already it doesn't really matter to much apart from I'll loose the quicker steering.

Smokeymi16

I sling him a text and post up if he's got one I'm sure he will. He's got every thing else.