• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stephen W

Your Advice Please On This Beam Tube

Stephen W

Hi guys i have just stripped a rear beam i had lying around with the intention of rebuilding it for my current 205.

This is my first time stripping a 205 beam and ive done lots of searches in the forum regarding rebuilds and decided to have a go following the thread on the main forum which i must add is very helpful.

The beam hasnt been used for around 8 years or so but it came apart fairly easily.

On stripping the right hand trailing arm shaft there was no bearing left at all. The left hand side still has the bearing inside in a fairly average condition.

Please can anyone tell me if the beam tube is past its best before i carry on with the rebuild?

post-10962-0-44816600-1338148291_thumb.jpgpost-10962-0-69728900-1338148293_thumb.jpgpost-10962-0-57165100-1338148298_thumb.jpg

Thanks stephen.

Stephen W

This is how it looked right after i had removed the shaft, i havent removed anything else.

Thanks Stephen

jord294

Scrap mate

Stephen W

Thanks mate i thought it was and pleased thats been confirmed!

Stephen

jord294

Do youwNg to rebuild the beam yourself? as you can buy new cross tubes from main dealer, which come with bearings, seals and rubber mounts

laldy875

Do youwNg to rebuild the beam yourself? as you can buy new cross tubes from main dealer, which come with bearings, seals and rubber mounts

I wish I knew this before re-bodging mine. How much are they?

jord294

Approx £240

Stephen W

I still have the rear beam that's on the car at the moment which is in good condition I hope, well there's no camber issues.

I was just going to rebuild this beam and do a swap as I wanted to keep the car mobile as I've just started using it again. I'll either get a second hand good tube or wait until winter and rebuild the one on the car.

Thanks for the reply

Stephen