• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

Rose Jointed Drop Links?

Rippthrough

and much more sense on a 205 given how close they run to the damper clamp bolts, the original droplinks were tapered like that.

Well, not really as you certainly wouldn't want it any narrower than mine are there ;)

Alan_M

Sorry been a bit busy! :lol: I've dug the joints out (they're sat on my desk) but not got any further than that. It's on my long list of things to do.

Has your list shrunk yet?

SurGie

I'll have a set, red if possible?

Cameron

Yes it has, I'll pick my standard links up from the unit tonight and have a measure, then see what I can do with a design. I'm thinking steel tubular items with threaded inserts, so they can be powder coated to whatever colour you want.

• Like 1

SurGie

Cool i can paint them myself the same colour at the arb and calipers and all the other red bits, it a deep not dark red shade.

Francesco

Any update on this Cameron?

Cameron

Yes! No. :lol:

I did start on a design but not done a lot since.

kyepan

stupid question of the day... rose jointed drop links, as in drop links with spherical bearings at either end... as in ball and socket.

Don't these have spherical bearings at either end anyway? or are we purely talking about the quality of the bearing.

welshpug

Original ARB droplink have a steel ball in a Nylon cup, i.e a spherical joint or balljoint.

"rose joint" is a term used for a spherical joint typically all steel or steel with a brass or PB lining and a steel insert typically hollow to accept a bolt or stud, you can also get alloy bodied ones, they have threaded bits male or female.

Edited by welshpug

kyepan

Yeah, so they are both spherical joints of a sort.

I can understand replacing lower arms with bushes with spherical bearings to reduce the deviation from exact geometry settings. Exchanging one type of spherical bearing for another type of spherical bearing seems less worth it, especially for a component that does not directly affect wheel geometry.

Just my ten cents, but they do look lovely none the less.

Cameron

You're right, it is pretty pointless, other than it being cheaper to replace a worn out rod end bearing than an entire drop-link.

Pretty much as pointless as replacing track rod ends with rod end bearings, especially when still mounting in single shear.

oli-pug

I think i'm right in saying that especially on lowered cars where you have the arb droplink attached to the strut, it has a negative effect on steering feel when approaching the limit. I.e what feels like the tyre's limit of grip is actually the arb twist providing feedback. So an adjustable droplink should be able to reduce this affect to a point??

Anthony

You're right, it is pretty pointless, other than it being cheaper to replace a worn out rod end bearing than an entire drop-link.

What's the life expectancy of a rod end bearing compared to a regular drop link under typical road / occasional track use?

Assuming it's broadly similar, I'm not sure it works as a cost arguement to be honest, given that a Motaquip drop link is £11 and I'm guessing that the bearings are going to be somewhere in the £10-15 mark each?

kyepan

yer dad sells spherical bearings and their PRICEY!! plus they would need gaiters to protect from ingress and rapid wear.

Cameron

£11 for a drop link? Holy crap! :lol:

Oli I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure it's something you could really tune by altering the length of the drop link.. or at least not within the range of adjustment you'd have. You'd get more by adjusting the offset from the strut axis if you see what I mean.