• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sinbad

Rear Beam Help Please

Sinbad

Bleeding the rear brakes up last night and i jacked up the beam in the centre of the beam,obviously the wheels should be falling as im jacking...

Theyre not,surprise surprise!

Drivers side is stuck solid on the bump stop nearly,passenger side moved down when i pushed on it,so a refurb is now on the cards unless anyone is a good magician in need of extra cash?! lol

Anyway,i want to rebuild my beam using the guide in the articles section,i have used the search function to identify part numbers and bits i need to carry out the refurbishment.

However,upon the search i happened upon a thread from a couple of years ago where poorer bearing quality was discussed,so with this i have a few questions....plus some others about the problem...

1)Are my shafts or tube likely to be err shafted?? Anyone with experience like this?

2)If so can i use any base models equipment,theres a few local 205's in breakers??

3) Is there anyone who sells the bearings (the good ones),seals and other stuff needed as a kit??

4)Anybody know any good psychiatrists?? LOL

Anthony

If it's seized, then take it as a given that the shafts and tube will be scrap. You might be lucky and the unseized side has a serviceable shaft, but best assuming not to be honest.

A base model 205 beam is fine as a replacement.

Get the bearings, seals etc from Peugeot - the 306 kit contains the correct bearings cheaper than buying everything individually. Beware of people on eBay selling the same parts with a significant markup...

A bigger question would be how on earth you failed to notice just driving the car that the beam was seized, as they ride and handle horrifically?

Sinbad

I have never driven it Anthony,i bought it as a blown up project last summer and it has been parked in my garage ever since.This now explains why it looks very slammed haha!

Which parts do i need from the base model beam??

So the 306 refurb kit contains all the right parts i need?? And is cheaper than the ebay lot??

Edited by Sinbad

Anthony

Ah, that would explain it.

The 306 kit doesn't include everything - as a minimum you'll need to add the outer rubber seals, the shaft cups, and the ARB endplate foam seal, and quite possibly various fixings and other parts depending on what state yours are in. Part numbers for everything are on here if you do a search.

Base model beam can donate the tube and shafts - worth stripping it before paying money though, as many (most) are starting to fail.

Sinbad

Thanks for your help,so what are the advantages of buying the 306 equipment may i ask??

Anthony

Thanks for your help,so what are the advantages of buying the 306 equipment may i ask??

the 306 kit contains the correct bearings cheaper than buying everything individually

Sinbad

Cheers.Silly me lol

I guess the best thing to do would be strip it all 1st to assess what i need in any case??

Gutted cos the last thing (how silly of me!) to do was bleed the brakes,i have done a full engine rebuild,painted the bay and replaced nearly all the stuff at the front,just thought the back had been lowered by some charver lol

jord294

The 306 kit comes with a narrower outer bearing.

But the the axles I rebuild, I actually supply the wider 22mm outer bearing

Anthony

You sure? The last 306 kits I bought just a few weeks back had the correct bearings in them **

Indeed it has been a long time since I saw one of the narrow outer bearings with insufficient needles, and I wouldn't even consider using one.

** - well, actually that's a slight fib. They had the inner bearings with only 30 needles rather than 35 as originally fitted, but this doesn't seem to make any odds as it's only a small reduction and the inner bearings don't take as much of the load.

jord294

Trust me anthony, I searched the web and eventually found someone who could supply me over 70 of the nadella 22mm outer bearings. They weren't cheap, but it was my preference to build and supply my axles with them.

Iirc the 306 kit contains a 17mm outer bearing

Slo

Hi ive just bought all the seperate parts from pug stealers over £300 worth and the outer bearings i got were the proper type but the inner ones are the inferior ones mentioned dozens of times on here, i didnt know about this 306 kit at the time tho!

jord294

As mentioned above, the inner bearings don't take as much load as the outer bearings.

I spend over £380 on genuine peugeot parts when rebuilding the 205/309 axles.

So with a fully powdercoated axle which looks like brand new, my sale price of £500 is a good deal, and are in stock

I have a listing in the for sale section.

Anthony

Another thinly veiled for sale thread by Jord.... now there's a surprise :rolleyes:

(PS. I've just opened another 306 kit box, and can confirm that the outer bearings are fine with the correct number of needles. They are not the lousy unfit for purpose ones that were around a while back)

Liquid_106

PS. I've just opened another 306 kit box

Part number available for this?

From what I can work out and depending upon the condition of the original parts - you'll need the following:

306_Suspension.jpg306_Suspension_cost.jpg

Would / could anyone care to confirm?

(Assumed that all the 306 parts are transferable to the 205 / 309)

Edited by Liquid_106

welshpug

Depends how quickly you want them, but most motorfactors can do Kits from Febi-Bilstein that have the seal carrier and the cup at not much more than Peugeot

(still more than the kit and the two parts not included, but often in stock and if not usually next day, rather than 3-4 days for a pug dealer often enough.)

Still can't quite grasp how you'd spend £380 rebuilding a rear beam :lol:

jord294

Just offering a helping hand for those that MAY prefer a beam ready to fit

jord294

Because I don't scrimp on new parts.

As I've said elsewhere, the cost of new mounts only come to over £80

Sinbad

Thanks for the offer of sale,but in the politest possible way,no thanks,i asked about parts to rebuild my own

Miles

Yes the 306 kit's have different outer bearings at the moment, but as with all these things it's pot luck what you get at the end of the day.

£380.00 is about right when you add the mounts etc, the front OE ones are bloody expensive which always makes me laugh when you see recon axles at around £350.00

Alastairh

Depends how quickly you want them, but most motorfactors can do Kits from Febi-Bilstein that have the seal carrier and the cup at not much more than Peugeot

(still more than the kit and the two parts not included, but often in stock and if not usually next day, rather than 3-4 days for a pug dealer often enough.)

As it happens i was in the local suppliers checking out this kit today. Crap inner bearings and the prices were a reasonable amount more than pug once you added it all up.

I picked some 306 kits up today, spot on. Must be lucky.

Al

welshpug

ahhh I'll give them a miss then :lol:

Alastairh

Yeah. Had any luck with them shafts? I didn't.

welshpug

The Febi ones? I asked my motorfactor and they said they can do them next day.

kingboyk

How much are the kits from Pug then?