• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
WooDooUK

Top Mount Movement

WooDooUK

Hi Peeps, Maybe someone can help.

After diagnosing a knocking from the front suspension i found it was movement in the passenger side top mount.

So i have fitted new bearings and bushes to the top mounts on both sides. However on the passenger side there is still a lot of lateral movement when there is normal load on the suspension. As a result the front suspension is still knocking from the N/S

But having replaced both the bearing and the bush i dont know what else could be causing the movement. and the nut on the top of the shock is as tight as possible and will not go down any more.

Any idea's?

Thanks,

welshpug

Make sure you have the washer present, there's a large one that sits under the nut.

WooDooUK

Just checked, its there, and both sides match. the earthing washer and the larger proper washer under neath.

IMG_20120523_130924.jpg

welshpug

I guess the cup is tight then?

that looks an awfully large gap between the cap and the top mount, as if the rubbers or bearing were missing!

kenp

Something's deffo not right there... are you sure the top mounts all went back together ok - it's quite easy for something not to seat properly.

Did you fit the thick washer between the strut and the bell?

Edited by kenp

WooDooUK

Right. i current have the strut top in bits, and it looks like the Poly top mount bushes i have maybe to small, the top cup in touching the bottom, so the bush is not actually doing anything.