• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonb_5

Hillclimb Setup

jonb_5

Hi

I have done several searches but can not find anything directly related to hill climbing.

I had my first event on Sunday and the car rolls around a lot, as well as the inside wheel spinning up on every corner due to the roll.

The idea to solve this is to get lower and stiffer springs at the front and new dampers at the rear and match this with lowering the torsion bars.

What I need to know is what would be best from anyone that may have done this...

Ideally I will be buying second hand to keep costs down but I would like a decent set-up that is going to last, coil-overs etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

welshpug

what class do you run in? what are you allowed to change....

Miles

Get a large rear Anti Roll bar, 30mm Will do the trick or worst case nothing smaller than a 25mm bar,

But let us know what spec the car is

jonb_5

Hi

I am running in C2 so can change what I want to really.

At the moment it is standard with C5 "Steel" wheels and A048 tyres.

It is a 1.6 GTi running standard brakes as well.

Thanks

Jon

DrSarty

Considering where you are (Devon/Cornwall), you'd benefit a great deal by contacting Colin Satchell who's not too far from Launceston.

You could reach him by PM'ing Sandy on here, as they work together on a lot of engine, chassis and complete car projects. They are experts in several fields with many successes and wins in hillclimbing and track competitions.

My car (Evo II) has a Colin/Sandy set-up based on their successes and extensive trial and error over years of development work, which can include rear turreted suspension with coilovers, modified chassis beams and strengthened shells to accommodate custom subframes that take 306 wishbones and other goodies.

Not sure how far you want to go - as Miles' advice I'm sure is good - but if you want to consult and perhaps step up a notch, Colin and Sandy could help you.

Miles

C2 means nothing to us up here, Most centres have there own class's with there own rules, Like mine std production just means T&T and anything can be done, Compare that with the Eastern side of the country and sts means std

jonb_5

Hi,

I definitely think the ARB is the first thing on my list, my understanding is that the standard on is 19mm, I thought this is only on the 1.9, not the 1.6.

I have been looking for a set of coilover's for the front and matching replacement dampers for the rear...

Would anyone be able to give me any ideas on the best places to buy these items?

Thanks

Jon

tri_longer

what is your budget, makes a huge difference as to what you will be able to get

jonb_5

Morning,

I have found an ARB on Pug1off, £182, does this seem OK?

Also, with regards to suspension I am willing to spend what is neccesary to get the best I can, I mean looking around £500 - £600 I guess for what is out there at the moment.

I am just not sure whether coil overs are worth the extra money or to just get a normal uprated set of shock and springs.

Thanks

Jon

welshpug

Have a chat to Colin satchel if you can, he will know the hills in your area well, most likely hold the records there too ;)

He will know how to set-up a 205, he doesn't tend to use ARB's at all, not saying its definitely the way to go, but it certainly works for colin and many others.

jonb_5

Hi,

Have just received some advice from Colin so though I would share with everyone saying not to use a larger diameter ARB, but instead to upgrade the rear TB's, to something like 22mm.

Also to upgrade to a suspension set, something like the GAZ set you can buy. I think I may try to go down the Bilstein / Eibach route however as these are supposed to be one step up again, depending on prices....

Again, keep the suggestions coming in and I will try and hone a spec I will run with before buying too much and maybe help others out with their set-up choices.

Many Thanks

Jon

welshpug

if you are going 22m or larger on the rear you will need to go height adjustable damper on the front to be able to get suitable spring rates, standard diameter eibach's will not be stiff enough, Gaz would be the budget end of the market here, above that Bilstein's group A stuff and AST's fast road spec kit at around £1200

jonb_5

Blimey! I am glad I asked before I went out spending money.... I think this needs more thought.

The GAZ GHA/GOLD range on the group buy seems to be good value for money, so may be this is where I should start??

I think the Bilstein would be far too good for what I need at this stage.

Like I said I will spend as much as I need to really to get a good set-up. I am never going to be the best driver so I am not aiming for the top, I just want to have fun and gradually improve.

Thanks

Jon

Anthony

Something like Peter Lloyd Rallying 180lb tarmac springs would work with 22mm torsion bars and fit conventional dampers, which is another option if you don't want to go down the coilover route.

welshpug

ohhh yeh forgot about those PLR springs, ideal to get you started :)

jonb_5

OK, thanks for the ideas.

I just assumed coil overs would be better due to the adjust ability of them??

I guess you can get these in differing lengths to lower the car, it has been suggested about 40mm.

Thanks

Jon

Cameron

If you're going to the expense of fitting thicker torsion bars and coilovers, why don't you just go for a race setup in the first place rather than go for what's probably more of a fast road setup of 180lb / 22mm TB? Do you also use the car as a daily?

jonb_5

Hi,

No the car will only ever be used for hill climbing so setting it up for this is my aim, as per the title.

What would you say would be a "race" setup?

Many Thanks

Jon