• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
krishossle

Rear Beam For 205 Gti

krishossle

hi all .. i have a 205 1990 1.9 gti in need of a refurbished rear beam .. can anyone please tell me the best /cheapest option .. im not confident to try rebuild my own !!

dcc

Speak to Anthony or Meirion (Welshpug), both close to you and both capable!

sensualt101

alternatively if they are busy or unavailable axledirect at axledirect.com are known reconditioners of 205 rear axles and give a 2 year warranty too :)

Sinbad

What sort of cost is it to have this work done??

And what sort of cost to do it yourself??

Sorry for thread hi-jack,just seems daft starting another on the same subject

krishossle

it seems for a recon one anything from 350 up to 500 ive had some really useful advice from members !!to rebuild apart from being a pain in the arse(thats if like me you arnt technically competant) you are looking a couple hundered less!! ive got a few good quotes from members if you pm me i will happily pass on numbers and prices..

ALEX

If the beam tube needs replacing hunt around he scrappers for a base model 205 for a replacement.

Thy're usualyy £££s cheaper than a Gti one and are the same AFAIK.

Tom Fenton

The base model beam tube can be used and is very similar but has a smaller o/d meaning the stupid GTI beam clamp doesn't fit.

Sinbad

Is that the only difference in these beams???

Could a full base model beam be used on a gti??

Turns out mine is completely totalled on strip to inspect,the trailing arm came off leaving the shaft in the tube stuck solid

iPlod999

Another hijacker here. I'm looking for one nearish to London/Essex.

The drivers side bar is stuck fast and will not budge.

Another forum pointed me towards www.sspengineering.co.uk for a refureb swap at £350. However, I am not able to take the old one off for them to take it away.

Tom Fenton

Is that the only difference in these beams???

Could a full base model beam be used on a gti??

No it is not the only difference in the complete beam. The trailing arm geometry is different on base models, also the torsion bars and anti roll bar are smaller. Yes it will bolt on, but it will handle like a base model and not like a GTI.

Sinbad

After doing a search i read that the differences were the arb and torsion bars,the drums,and the dampers??

If i put my gti parts on the base model beam then would that be ok??

pug_ham
If i put my gti parts on the base model beam then would that be ok??

Yes, I expect there are possibly quite a few 205 GTI's running round on base model tubes previous owners bought from a scrapyard to replace a dead GTI one.

I know when I bought my black GTI it had a base model beam fitted but I remedied that soon after I discovered it.

g

Sinbad

So yesterday starts with me going to Hull to pick up a replacement base model beam,taking my shafted gti beam.Took it off and to my mates i went to use his daddy'o slide hammer to finish stripping mine and to remove the bars from the replacement base model beam,which didnt have a anti roll bar,but not fussed about that at the moment i'll buy a gti one when funds allow.

So upon stripping the pair of them,(had to cut the base models torsion bars as even with a 15lb slide the didnt wanna know) i find that my ORIGINAL beam off my gti is infact also a base model without an ARB.

Measured the diameter of both sets of bars theyre both 17mm Fail.

Put the new beam on this aft,fitting the torsion bars and theyre home in the studded end,proud by around 30mm on the ghey torx end,pulled them out and measured,i knew before i even searched what i was looking for,but a post from the archives confirmed it!!

The 30mm extra i had was because somebody has obviously fitted a 309beam to my gti at some point.

I am absolutely exasperated with the thing,it really is 1 step forward and 2 back every single time i repair/replace something.

Unbelievable.

Anthony

Such is the joy of working with 20+ year old cars that have had a handful of owners

Sinbad

Such is the joy of working with 20+ year old cars that have had a handful of owners

Quite,from what i can work out,it was a 309 gti tube without an ARB,base model 309 torsion bars,gti drums.

Also,the fact i dont know these cars very well doesnt help