• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
laldy875

Pts Number Plates

laldy875

I've just recently been restoring my 205, and I was contemplating putting the rallye style stripes on the front but I decided to go for something more subtle.

My old plates had an old company logo along the bottom so I used an old Peugeot Talbot Sport sticker for the logo. If anybody would be interested there's a guy in Ireland who makes them. He still has the template, and it costs £20ish. What do you guys think?

Also wanted to say a massive thanks to all the help some members have given me along the build and all the great info on the forum.

Tom

frontplates.jpg

newplate2crop.jpg

MiniGibbo

You had to post this the day after I buy new dealer plates........

laldy875

You had to post this the day after I buy new dealer plates........

Sorry about that. I got my 6 engine out of a rallye with original Peugeot Talbot Plates :wub: imagine ripping apart such a minter.

Proper dealer plates is the type of detail you want if your going to restore it to an extreme level surely?

johnnyboy666

yuss!! I love subtle mods like this, the sort of thing you'd only know if you're in the know

allye

Strictly speaking illegal though......

MiniGibbo

As long as they've got a post code on them somewhere they should be ok..

S@m

Very nice! i am temped to follow suit on this one! As said, they are slightly illegal but i've never met a cop who actually knew that.

Sam

matt.f

So new number plates now have to have a postcode on?

I've just got some exact replica dealer plates for my RS,the bigger font type with dealer logo.Don't have a postcode on

johnnyboy666

They usually have to be sold as show plates if they dont have a postcode on. However, as soon as youve put them on the car, theres no real way of telling whether they were put on there before the postcode law came in. So its highly unlikely that it would ever cause an issue, unless the police happen to be following you with a pair of binoculars and some kind of carbon dating device :P

MiniGibbo

Has to have who made then and there postcode.

The plates i got from the local bmw main dealer are the planest ive seen,

P1060410.jpg

Simes

Mine came with the makers name and postcode as a sticker on my plates. I promptly removed the sticker.

laldy875

I didn't intentionally not get the postcode. I would have preferred if it was on just incase, but I'm pretty sure there is little chance of that coming up- apart from MOT.

Seems like a massive fuss. I have friends with Golf Gti's with german plates where the spacing is different and font is different and the last time the police passed when I was in the car they just laughed? 205's, golfs and cars of that era are turning into classics. You can guarantee if it was a vauxhall corsa they would be pulled within a second.

If anybody wants the email address you can PM me. I'm going to ask him about the postcode issue

johnnyboy666

I used to run pressed plates, in french font and spacing, with the french F on the side on my roland garros, used to take them off for the MOT though. also after I crashed the car (plates werent on it at the time) the plates have been made into a little memorial plaque for the car :P

post-9599-0-40787000-1337480071_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnnyboy666
  • Like 1

MiniGibbo

Ive been pulled in the past for German pressed plates with funky spacing and the mot/tax stickers.

And been pulled for no front plate.

It's pot luck.

Ciaran76

I need new plates for mine, can I get his contact details please.

chipstick

Silly question, is the £20 ish the price for 2 plates made up with this PTS bit printed on to the plate? (presumably he traced he sticker you gave him, and now has it ready to print on if requested)

Are your screws affixed through the front bumper outside of the recess? White caps would finish it off nicely.

I want some small ones making up which fit into the recess. Ideally only large enough around my 5 characters to remain legal. Not sure if blanks are produced that small.

laldy875

you can email Ken kenrob@ukay.net He said he would save the template.

It was £22.45 altogether. There made in Northern Ireland I think. Once you have established what you want it is a pretty quick service.

I'm not sure about the smaller plates. Never thought about that idea! It is pretty annoying how the front overhangs practically asking to be broken. I was also considering french plates, but too much hassle from the fuzz.

Btw chipstick your car looks ace. I've seen quite a few pics of yours on track

Edited by laldy875