• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Finally Got Round To The Plasticare Job!

scottbarton

Very impressed with the results. Where the trim was not in that bad condition, it did need some work on it.

Some before pics...

IMG_8069.jpg

IMG_8070.jpgIMG_8071.jpgAnd two coats of plasticare later.....

IMG_8073.jpgIMG_8076.jpgIMG_8079.jpg

gavbrum

Nice motor.

The plasticare is pretty special stuff.

MiniGibbo

Looks good, I've finally got my self some of this stuff and plan to have a go this weekend..!

scottbarton

Best applied with a small bit of sponge. You get the lines really tight against the bodywork. Any excess on the paintwork simply wipes away. Deffo wear some surgical type gloves....that stuff gets on your skin it takes some scrubbing! I had a pair of gloves on, and realised at the end that the thumb had a split....my thumb is black!

clen666

Much better, car looks lovely

laldy875

is that black or grey? I used grey and it came up really light?

MiniGibbo

Done mine today with grey and it looks fantastic..!

They're are some before, during and after photos in my progress thread.

cocopops2001

Was looking at this stuff also has some of the parts have faded a little?

Would this be the best way to go? I was considering taking the trim and going at with some black spray paint.

Strictly_Derv

Was looking at this stuff also has some of the parts have faded a little?

Would this be the best way to go? I was considering taking the trim and going at with some black spray paint.

Painting trim looks okay for awhile then just starts looking tacky esp if it's done matt to macth the plastic. This stuff would probably be cheaper too

cocopops2001

I might invest then since there seems to be a deal going at the moment. How many

Very impressed with the results. Where the trim was not in that bad condition, it did need some work on it.

Some before pics...

And two coats of plasticare later.....

Might just get some of this then since it seems there is a deal through the forum. How many bottles to do the two coats?

EDIT: Removed pics from quote

Edited by cocopops2001

chipstick
. How many bottles to do the 2 coats?

I managed to use about half a bottle with 2 coats. it goes a fair way.

allye

Done mine today with grey and it looks fantastic..!

Yours should be black being a phase 2......

Phil H

I used it and thought it was a bit average. Maybe I rushed in the application, but did two or three passes and still looked a bit streaky I used one of those sponges for washing up that has a rough bit for the pans. Bumper snot on the top made it look good. I spent half an hour removing it from the surrounding panels !!! Be warned it melts latex gloves, so make sure you have a nail brush for the clean up afterwards.

MiniGibbo

Yours should be black being a phase 2......

Really..?

I thought mine was a 1.5

maturin23

Getting the surface properly degreased before application is important, especially if there are residues of bumper snot/black.

Daviewonder

I removed mine from the car and used a Brass wire brush to clean all the crud off my bumpers and arches. I just brushed them gently and was amazed at the amount of ground in dirt that came off of them. Then I just Plasticared them and they came out like brand new.

Daviewonder

Really..?

I thought mine was a 1.5

No mate. Phase 2 from 1990ish.

chipstick

I used it and thought it was a bit average. Maybe I rushed in the application, but did two or three passes and still looked a bit streaky I used one of those sponges for washing up that has a rough bit for the pans. Bumper snot on the top made it look good. I spent half an hour removing it from the surrounding panels !!! Be warned it melts latex gloves, so make sure you have a nail brush for the clean up afterwards.

Some bits I had to keep going over lightly to remove streaks, but you get there.

I used a thousand bits of card stuffed down between the arch trims and the panels so there was no risk of getting any on the paint.

I removed the door trims as they unclip easily, and I wanted to T cut the red strips to compliment the clean trims. Plus, was nice to clean and polish away 23 years of grime from underneath as it saves dirty residue from streaking down the bottom of the door when washing.

Daviewonder

Plus, was nice to clean and polish away 23 years of grime from underneath as it saves dirty residue from streaking down the bottom of the door when washing.

I'm pretty sure that dirty residue should be added to the "silly things that annoy you" thread.

allye

Really..?

I thought mine was a 1.5

All UK Rallyes were ph2.

Taking the bumpers off the car really is the best bet although can be a pain in the arse if they haven't been off before! But as said, making sure the surface is nice a clean is important as per the instruction, I swear by it. The rear on my XS were light grey, a couple application and it looks new!

MiniGibbo

No mate. Phase 2 from 1990ish.

Phase 2 dash wiring differed to what I had..?

So mines 100% a phase 2 then..?

Baz

YES! As i'm sure i've said to you before, if it's a '93 car it's definitely a ph2 as the change-over was '90.

Atreides

This looks like it's bloody good stuff. Need to get myself a bottle and do my car.

sharpm

yes its great stuff, as has been said before just make sure you clean the bumpers thoroughly before applying. I use a lint free cloth to apply and a small craft paintbursh to get into the tricky bits.

it can be done with the bumpers in situ no probs, but you really need to remove the red stipe to do a proper job. The wheelarches and door mouldings can be done on the car too, just mask off the paintwork by slipping the masking tape in between the trim and bodywork and your good to go.