• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
natty

Cti 1.6 Or 1.9 Confused!?!?

natty

just curious......my brother has just bought a pininfarina cti he says its a 1.9 but it has drum brakes on the back and i thought 1.9 had discs......shed some light any one?

allye

CTi's were set up a little softer than tin tops, so even the 1.9's had drum beams.

natty

cheers for that,are they easily changed over to discs?

welshpug

yes but i wouldn't bother.

stufarri

They all had XS suspension too and many CTI owners swap over the front subframe/TCAs from a GTI to improve the handling.

natty

not a fan welshpug?...............so apart from the engine it's not a GTI?....his also has pepper pot 14's,do they all?

welshpug

well the badge on the back says CTi so no its not a gti :P afaik they did all have the 1.6 wheels.

the drums are much more reliable, handbrake also works far better, if it aint broke don't fix it ;)

a 1.6 gti beam would be ideal though, bigger torsion bars and arb.

Anthony

the drums are much more reliable

That statement is somewhat open to debate - drums have their own fair share of issues, just they're different to those suffered on the rear disk brake setup

Tom Fenton

The drums have a far better handbrake. The discs never need to be adjusted. Discs can be easily inspected even with the wheel on. Drums need dismantling for a look. Swings and roundabouts for me.

ALEX

Another for Drum brakes.

The handbrake on my 1.9 gti would fail its MOT neary every year despite new cables, new discs and pads and reconditioned calipers.

The MOT tester at the time was fussy though so it was a case of just arguing with him to get it through.