• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

Seat Swapping

Telf

Hi all

Ive managed to get a set of front seats to replace my old worn out pair.(for a 205GTI-they are the red/black 1/2 leather type)

I would like to swap the drivers for the passengers but ive hit a snag and im hoping someone can help!

Basically Ive removed the bottom frame of the seat and now need to swap the reclining mechanism handle over-- but im not sure how. Ive removed the plastic cap --do i now have to remove the whole mechanism eg the bar that runs through the seat or does the metal part of the winder detach from the bar that runs through the seat?

Any help would be greatly received.

also is it possible to remove the bottom half of the seat from the top-- my original passenger seat bottom is in better conditon than the replacement (bolsters etc)

thanks

Edited by Telf

allye

If you are using a passenger seat for a drivers then the reclining wheel will be on the wrong side, no way of changing it I'm afraid, you'll need to ditch the plastic side cover and bend out slightly the tilt mechanism lever to clear said recliner wheel.

Telf

Hi Allye and thanks for the reply,

I thought it might be the case that it cant be changed over, having said that has anybody ever tried stripping the seat down to do it? Im sort of tempted because i have 4 seats so have a little room to try it.

Otherwise maybe I could de skin the seat of it cover and bolsters to replace the bad bits --has any body tried this?

I dont really want the seats to 'look ' wrong as im slowly trying to return the car to a good state of repair.

Thanks

stufarri

Yes I have done many seats and swapped my passenger for my drivers seat a few months ago to even out the wear. I was fitting heated seats and re-doing the bolsters at the same time too.

A fiddly job, the 1st time it took 5hrs plus per seat but after a few I can do this in 1.5-2hrs per seat.

You will need to remove about 50 hog-ring copper clips and then I use mini tie-wraps to re-fix.

It's really complex to explain on a forum but if you do fancy trying this you could always PM me if you get stuck.

Pity you are not closer as I could have helped you out - but 200 miles is a along way to travel!

Edited by stufarri

MiniGibbo

I done the same earlier in the year, you need one of these in your life

SDC14523.jpg

And it'll be easy to bend it out like so

SDC14525.jpg

stufarri

Looks far better if you do a proper job and swap the seats covers over though.

MiniGibbo

It looks no different.. And it's not the covers it's the saggy bolsters at fault.

Telf

ok thanks for the advice guys,

im going to take this nice and slow - Stu if i get stuck i will PM you (although it may be afew weeks!)

thanks all

CCollier300571

Im in the middle of doing this job. Bought a pair of seats. The drivers seat is trash but swapping the swab over from the passenger side to my drivers side. The only problem ive got is how to clean, treat and preserve to leather as its seen better days. So if anyone has any ideal products to use then please post

stufarri

Gliptone is the best stuff by far - Google it - they do colour washes for leather and creams to make it supple too.