• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ_T

No Flash On Dipped Lights Now Lights Don't Work ...

Russ_T

Hello,

Two seperate problems really, hopefully just a loose connection though.

Firstly ever since I've had the car I haven't been able to flash my lights when on dipped. I pull the left stalk in a bit on no lights, main beam flashes. Turn to side lights, pull, main beam flash. Turn to full dipped lights, pull the lever, nothing and it seems to want to click into main beam more easily. Is this normal? To fix this i just fitted a new indicator stalk but it behaves exactly the same... ? So the only way I can flash my lights when they're on is to turn my main beam on and off quickly ... bit rubbish.

Secondly having fitted my new stalk and tested it on the driveway it didn't seem any worse, I still had lights. On my way to work today (in heavy fog) I realised that I had no lights! I don't know if switching them on with the engine running took out a fuse but the stalk I fitted was similar to my existing one, but the plugs are in different positions. I have a K plate car, as they plugs fitted ok I wasn't worried, but is there any problems with me fitting the wrong year stalk that would take the lights out? I will check fuses/connection at lunch.

Thank you for your help, love this forum :)

Russ

Weser

To answer your first question I thought this was normal operating behaviour. You can flash main beams on when just using side lights. However when you have dipped beam on you cant flash the main beam, you have to do as you say, click on to main beam and click off. This is how all my 205 have worked but can't say for a K plate.

As for the connectors being in different positions I have never experienced that.

BlueBolt

The lack of flex in the stalk not letting you flash without turning the full beam on is standard... But it does ring about the question of why you'd want to blind oncoming traffic with full beam flashes rather than dip them to side lights and back on again... Maybe it's just a personal preference to not be blinded by the person coming the other way as means of thanks???

Have you checked the fuses for the lights?? Can't see why turning them on without the engine running would stop them working... Double check the connection on the stalk perhaps if the fuses are all good??

Russ_T

A quick flash of main beam doesn't blind you, the bulbs have hardly lit up before they're off again. I take your point though, dipping then back up is better but most people don't seem to understand it :)

I'll check the connections and fuses then if there are no known problems with fitting the wrong stalk.

Well it seems from that search that people have differing opinions. I've either got two bad stalks or some model 205s are supposed to be like this?? I'm tempted to wire a button in at this rate and use that to flash lol. So do I complain on ebay and buy yet another stalk or try to enjoy having an old car that you can't flash the lights in??

Thanks very much, quick reponses, glad to see everyone must be hard at work :)

Slo

my car is a mark 1 E reg and i had the old pencil thin stalks but ive swapped everything to mark 2 from an H reg and now my stalks are the fat round type and are/was exactly the same as what you describe with both types, cant flash main beam without it stopping on its normal and a pain in the arse for me too hope that helps

Edited by Slo

welshpug

I was taught not to use theheadlights as a signalling method as you never know what someone means by it, so its never bothered me on my 205 :lol:

Slo

while i think about this whole headlight/driving light scenario, when i changed the wiring loom from mark 1 to 2 i discovered the pain in the arse french connector syndrome and had a right mare getting all 4 lights to come on at the same time and got some weird results. if i have a main beam out the corrosponding driving light will stay on once lit regardless of low or main beam position until i turn it off completely or wiggle the classic connector or replace the bulb ironically if its popped, is this normal behaviour? on my mark 1 the driving lamps never worked so i had to rewire them.

Russ_T

Thanks for the help.

So apart from Dave Richards and Anthony, everyone has lights like this. What are they doing differently to be able to flash their main beam??

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=136478

Off topic a bit, but the driving lights that are for same on this website, are they any good? Mine work fine but are rotten, but I don't want to spend the money just for new ones to rust within 6 months :)

Cheers

welshpug

What are they doing differently to be able to flash their main beam??

I Dont.

Russ_T

I know you can't, but according to that thread you can't flash your main beam when on dipped lights, but Anthony and Dave say they can? Unless it's such a common fault all cars suffer it, or they have very late models which are somehow different? I'm confused, I'm just going to get a torch and flash it instead.

welshpug

no, I don't flash my lights whatever car I drive :lol:

Anthony

So apart from Dave Richards and Anthony, everyone has lights like this. What are they doing differently to be able to flash their main beam??

You've mis-understood that topic.

That was about people not being able to flash the main beams when the headlights are off or only on side lights, which you should be able to do (and sounds like you can)

It is completely normal to have to flick the high beams on and then off again to "flash" when the dipped headlights are on.

The difference is that unless the headlight stalk is in the dipped position, it won't latch in the high beam position, hence pulling back on the stalk briefly with the lights off or on sidelights merely flashes.

Russ_T

Oh yes, sorry Anthony, thanks for clarifying.

Well good news then, I don't need to worry about that and my new stalk saved cleaning the old one!

I'll have a go at turning lights off and on and see if that works for people instead.

Cheers

Russ_T

Well after all that fuss, the connector had fallen out of the stalk when I was putting the clocks surround back on, how shameful!

Apparently talking to a colleague the flashing your light thing can also be found on the 309. I think Peugeot were trying to economise on their switches :)

Thanks for all the help!

Weser

Well glad that has shed some light on the situation....

Sorry couldn't resist :blush:

• Like 1