• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

More Driveshaft/wishbone Issues! :(

fatony1

Starting to wish i'd never bothered f*cking around with the car and just left it how it was! :(

It looks like im having the same problem described here:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=120001

My gearbox is a Citroen Xsara VTS with a recently fitted 205 diff with new bearings, both driveshafts are brand new items from AB Motorsport, the wishbones are brand new from www.jsmotorsport-machining.co.uk and i've 'set them up' so they match a pair of 309 wishbones, all bushes are new, struts are new Bilstein Group N, both hubs are good 2nd hand, both bearings are new, both drop links are new, the rack/trackrods/TREs are all new, the chassis legs are straight, the subframe is good (it was seam welded but i did lots of research before hand, kept it nice and cool etc so no chance it's warped!), the strut bearings were new 5000 miles ago, the garage isn't on the p*ss and the wind is blowing south-west, what the hell is going on!?!? The O/S shaft went in fine, on the N/S the 'pin' in the hub is about 5-10mm away from going through the rosejoint with the driveshaft fully compressed!!

Any ideas??

fatony1

Also i've measured the N/S shaft, it's 610mm tip to tip, and compresses down to 580 if i really squeeze it together, is that about right for a 309 shaft?

allanallen

Have you pushed your engine over to the drivers side to gain m/c clearance? That obviously won't help.

I'm not sure how your trying to fit the pin but have you tried putting a jack under the arb and compressing the spring/damper enough to let it go in? The driveshaft may be fine once it's all together.

fatony1

I thought about that yes, I tried with a block of wood under the disc, I might try putting a spring compressor on the spring itself to collapse it down enough to slide the pin into the rose joint.

(null)

fatony1

Also no the engine isn't moved over at all.

(null)

Daz_C

I've not long ago bought a new drive shaft for my 205, after breaking a shaft I decided to get a decent new, not reconditioned shaft. I didn't get it from AB but looking at the pics they look exactly the same (other than mine was 205 length) which measures 600mmish. All good until I did a trackday and then on hard right hand bends it was rummbling like a bas**rd. On further investigation (stripping the shaft down) it appears the bearings in the cup were 'bottoming' out, so fully compressed. I am at present in the process of having JS do me some wishbones 309 length which will hopefully give that extra bit so as to cure the issue, I did look at getting the shafts turned down abit but it didn't look possible.

Anyway to cut to the chase - I'd hazzard a guess that if the shaft is sitting correct in the hub and the gearbox, then this 309 shaft is too long for the settings your running. Have you got a 205 shaft to try ?

fatony1

Trying that method at the moment with no luck :( why the hell does it seem the driveshaft is too long??

(null)

fatony1

Oops double post!

Edited by fatony1

fatony1

Afraid I haven't got a 205 shaft no, the rose joints have been wound out to match a pair of 309 wishbones so surely they should be fine with 309 shafts?

(null)

fatony1

I tried jacking the strut up with the jack under the ARB, was 90% there but just wouldn't collapse that last tiny bit to get the 'pin' through the rosejoint. Anyone have any sort of idea what could be causing this??