• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stephen W

1.6 Gti Steering Question.

Stephen W

I have owned 3 205 gtis previous to my current 1.6, and some how I can't remember what they were like compared to this one on "feel" throught the steering wheel.

Basically I have replaced my front dampers for Bilsteins on standard springs. I was at work one day bored and rebuilt the original top mount bearings (I now realise these are fairly cheap to replace) but needed something to do!

After refitting everything back together with brand new springs/dampers the steering seems to be a little more stiff than I originally remember.

At lower speeds it's fairly easy to turn but a little notchy and at higher speeds it's almost like I need to give it a harsh pull to get it to turn. I also feel that it doesn't want to self centre once through a corner. I literally have to turn it back.

Now my question is... If the top mount bearings were not working properly ie I ballsed rebuilding them, would it really make such a stiff feel? Or is there a rack issue that has now come to light after replacing the dampers?

I hope I have explained enough for you to understand roughly what's going on and any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers steve.

numbum

When you stripped the top mount bearing did it come apart and split as sometimes the plastic seal ends up underneath the ball bearings,

This can also happen when your putting the springs back on because of the angle the mount sits thus it ends up the plastic running on the ball bearings instead of the race. so when you button everything it up it feels notchy hope this helps.

Stephen W

Yeah I separated the bearing completely and cleaned and regreased all the ball bearings and then put it back together.

Now you mention it I remember the seal was a pain to get back into position, so like you say it may have moved.

For the small amount they cost I think I will replace them and see how it goes.

Thanks numbum

Stephen W

I've stripped the front dampers down again tonight and the bearings seem to be in good condition.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I've stripped a standard front damper down aswell and there is a discrepancy with the order of parts. There was a large washer on the piston then all the other parts were built up on top of that. Anybody got pictures of the correct order of the top mounts, rubbers etc?

Thanks

Stephen W

Anybody?

I have now replaced both top mount bearings for new ones, correctly seated etc.

Could it be the actual column?

Anybody?

I have now replaced both top mount bearings for new ones, correctly seated etc.

Could it be the actual column?

Slo

Sounds like the steering column knuckle might be worn out try loosening off its locknut and pulling it up the splines any play here up or down will be telltale.

ALEX

You've either put it together wrong or you've been supplied a wrong part.

It's usually a slim chance that something else has broken that you havn't touched.

Stephen W

It's defiantly all put back together correctly but have now noticed that there is play in the upper steering uj.

Can this be separated from the column or is it a complete part?

Cheers for the help guys

Stephen