• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wes

Omp Cage In Sunroof Car

Wes

i need a little help, i have got a omp roll cage which im planning on fitting the rear half only and cutting off the tubes that connect to the front half. now, my car has a sunroof and full interior which i want to keep. obviously the cage wont fit in due to it hitting the roof lining, can i just remove the sunroof blind and runners to gain the extra height? my other plan is to cut the lining in half and butt it upto the cage when its in.

and has anyone got a pic if where the feet sit behind the front seats, can i keep the standard seatbelt bars that fix to the sill or will the welded in mounts cover that area?

any info or pics of cages with full interior in will be appreciated.

Leon

When I fitted a full OMP cage to my phase 1 sunroof car, I cut a strip out of the headlining where the rollbar is, and removed the sunroof blind.

You can't keep the standard seatbelt mounts - the welded feet go exactly where the bars hook into the inner sill.

Edited by Leon

Wes

thanks for that reply, its very helpfull. i think i will cut a strip out of the lining then.

Wes

does anyone know if front seat belts from a 5 door 205 bolt straight to the sill without using the metal bar?

sensualt101

i see little point in installing a roll cage that

a: is gonna serve no purpose anymore ( or be fit for intended use as you are damaging it anyway )

b: is gonna take damaging a perfectly good car interior to fit

as ever each to their own!

i am the sort of person that likes to keep a 205 gti as standard for road use but if used for racing then of course i understand having to comply with safety regulations

to damage a perfectly good roll cage and then to damage a perfectly good car interior to fit what is left just to get an all for show race look seems like a destructive waste of money to me! :(

am i the only one to take this view?

MiniGibbo

I'd personally never fit a cage with back seats, thats also the reason you can't buy cages that go around the seats as manufactures also don't want you keeping your back seats..

Sounds to me like your after a "show cage" similar to what you find in saxo's..

Wes

Edit double post

Edited by wes205mi

Wes

Ok I'll clear up a few details, the omp cage lets you keep the rear seats as seen on the guide on the main site. I want the rear cage as our old 205's are fairly flimsy compared to new cars. I have seen a couple cars roll over on trackdays.

I am not damaging the cage in any way, I use my car for the odd fast road run and track days. I have done 4 this year already. But I want to keep the interior and it not to be a track only car. It will be properly fitted with the welded in mounts but I don't want to go down the route of fitting buckets and harnesses hence the reason for fitting the rear half only. Been there done that!

I don't want a show cage, I just want a little extra protection if the worst was to happen on a track day or in the event of a crash.

• Like 2

Leon

I'd personally never fit a cage with back seats, thats also the reason you can't buy cages that go around the seats as manufactures also don't want you keeping your back seats..

Sounds to me like your after a "show cage" similar to what you find in saxo's..

The OMP cage fits with the rear seats in place. Retaining the rear seats is compulsory in some formulae - such as road rallying.

Wes

just to update this, i have fitted the cage keeping the full interior. its going into the bodyshop to get the mounts welded in and getting painted hopefully next month. heres a couple pics to show it can be done.

004.jpg

005.jpg

0062.jpg

i will put some more up when its finally painted and modified slightly to remove the door bar mountings and the forward facing tubes for the front half.

the front half and door bars will be for sale if anyone wants them?