• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RummyonFire

Big BRAKE 205 To 307 Conversion Help

RummyonFire

Hi all

I know this is prob been discussed many times prev but i just have a couple of questions that if i can get answered would be much appreciated

I have found a tutorial on here on the conversion

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=b-307brakes

the parts required for the conversion are as follows

Buying the bits:

Prices from Peugeot dealer, correct in the month of May 05.

307 2.0 XU10 brake calipers and yokes:

4400N2 - Caliper - £51.14 +VAT

4400N3 - Caliper - £51.14 +VAT

440465 (x2) - Yoke (single) - £18.84 +VAT

That lot comes to a grand total of £164.48 (inc VAT).

You will also need to source disks and pads. I didn't compare many places but foundbrakepart.co.uk to be extremely competitive:

BPS2701 - Pad Set - £19.76 +VAT

BDS5912 (x2) - Single Disc - £24.75 +VAT

In relation to the above only 2 discs were bought i take it that is to do the front, is it not necessary to convert the rears?

And just finally is the above everything i need to complete the conversion also there is some info about changing the master cylinder which i was wanting to know if it is a recommended?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks!

j_turnell

What power are you running? A good set of discs and pads on the 1.9 setup is generally more than adequate.

Plus your not doing yourself any favours in increasing unsprung weight, the 307 setup is much heavier!

If you do decide to go for 283mm setup works out much cheaper to get some 2nd hand gti6 callipers.

RummyonFire

Its a Dimma mi16 which will be running on 45's

Ive read the pro's and cons about the 307 and gti6 conversions but after adding it all up as you mentioned the gti6 would be more expensive, and tbh im not really bothered about the weight too much. its still going to have ample power and its not going to be for track days or anything.

i am mixing with the idea of not upgrading at all and just getting brand new 1.9 pad's disks etc any suggestions?

pugpete1108

I've got 307 ones on mine, using a 406 m/c

Good bite but major long pedal travel.

And yes they weight a ton, picked mine up second hand and from carrying them from the car I got them off to the yard office at the scrappy my arms were dead.:)

Got disks and callipers/yolks for £40 all in great nick. Just added some green stuff pads.

harryskid

Whats wrong with the 306 set up then?

Simes

I did this on mine when that guide was written, be careful I think the prices reflect that (2004?)

I went for this back then as it was cheaper than the GTI-6 set up which was very fashionable all those years ago.

I'm using the 1.9m/c rather than the 406. I did have a 406 one to use but was put off by having to adjust the push rod in the servo, there were stories of brakes jamming on after a few miles as the m/c was being activated without any assistance.

After stripping a servo down a few years later I realise it was actually quite easy to sort out.

Anyway

I bought a new 1.9 mc and even though you have to push the pedal a little way down before anything happens it works more than adequately.

I'm still using the original pads I stuck on it back then too!!

Edited by Simes

shalmaneser

FWIW I hated my gti6 brakes with the original M/C, I'd personally highly recommend the 406 servo as part of the upgrade.

You can get a gti6 setup for £100, much better value than buying new from pug.

• Like 1

Miles

For std use OK, but when you factor in good pads as in the real world who an earth uses up-rated pads on there 307 HDi, they cost allot more than GTi6 or Clio Pads

• Like 1

pugpete1108

put off by having to adjust the push rod in the servo, there were stories of brakes jamming on after a few miles as the m/c was being activated without any assistance.

did i miss something? i havent adjusted mine from the std 1.6 servo? never had any issues with it apart from loooong pedal travel?

• Like 1

welshpug

part of that long travel may be incorrect clearance between MC and servo pushrod.

pugpete1108

i can remove the m/c without loosing fluid cant i?

is the rod supposed to be against the cylinder when the pedal is up?

if so i can measure and adjust the rod accordingly

Paul_13

For std use OK, but when you factor in good pads as in the real world who an earth uses up-rated pads on there 307 HDi, they cost allot more than GTi6 or Clio Pads

Mintex 1144 pads were over £100 :lol: I remember that too well

Simes

did i miss something? i havent adjusted mine from the std 1.6 servo? never had any issues with it apart from loooong pedal travel?

Nope you didn't miss a thing, the adjustment was for the 406mc. There were a few threads of people swapping to the 406 mc and after 10 miles or so the brakes binding on.

RummyonFire

Thanks for the many replies im still no closer to deciding which way to go

is it recommended all four disks that is changed over during the conversion or are just the front two adequate

Im tempted to just stay standard for the time to make sure i can get the car on the road asap but as i was looking to replace all the pads and disks i thought an upgrade might be the way to go!

petert

GTi6 calipers are a lot more rigid than 307. The later flex too much and wear the pads unevenly, causing the pads to wedge. The GTi6 disc is also thinner, although same diameter, saving a bit of weight.

A good 266mm setup is more than adequate for a street car however. ie HDi calipers.

S@m

One problem with the 266 setup is that, again, good pads are harder to find than gti6 ones. Plus there are so many different types of 266 caliper that buying pads is a minefield. Saying that, i'm probably going to use 306 s16 brakes on mine.

Sam

kyepan

I have had standard 1.6 calipers - they got too hot and i wanted a lot of bang for buck.

And now have the 283mm 307hdi setup with ferrodo ds2500 pads, and latterly the 406 master cylinder.

expect to pay over a hundred pounds for the pads.

They are properly good stoppers and i have never got them to fade under even the most continued abuse. The pads do take a couple of applicaitons to bite hard, so you can be a little caught out if they are not up to temp.

You will also need longer hoses, probably about 6 inches longer, miles does these.

And the wheel weights will need clipping on the outside or they will foul the calipers.

It's worth bearing in mind that the 307hdi setup is an extra 5kgs per side unsprung weight, so if you really really need better brakes and care about the suspension performance it would be worth spending the extra and going for light weight calipers and alloy bells. Either that or offset the weight with some sub 5gk light weight wheels.

Otherwise get braided hoses, and go for standard 1.9 discs using decent m1144 or ds2500 pads, then run the best quality fluid you can afford and change it regularly.

If i had the chance again i would still have upgraded but waited, saved pennies and gone for a decent alloy road (with all the dust seals) caliper, and alloy bells for light weight discs, probably about the 266mm size.

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

pugpete1108

You need to adjust the pushrod on your setup?

kyepan

no i just chose the cylinder cause it had 4 ports and was non abs.. and got lucky.

Simes

I was put off by a couple of people's problems and never looked back, looks like yours is ok.

Paul_13

Mine's been fine with a 406 mc

petert

Plus there are so many different types of 266 caliper that buying pads is a minefield.

Thus my suggestion of the 306 HDi caliper. One thing you can't get is a Brembo Max disc for a GTi6.

cRaig

Slightly off topic, is there a specific measurement the servo should be adjusted to for a 406 master cylinder? I was just going to fit it and hope for the best, although that doesnt sound like the best idea now!

Whats the best way of measuring it accurately?

Thanks

Craig

allye

I use standard 1.9 GTI front set up in my 6' powered car. I fully rebuilt them from scratch new seals etc, new lines and new 1.9 master cylinder and they are bloody good brakes! The guy at the MOT station even commented on how good they were for a 205 :lol:

If I ran 15' wheels then I probably would run bigger brakes, however my 1.9's are more than up to the job :)