• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Cti Brake Options

damo

Hi all,

I have a 91 CTI, so I assume its 1.6 gti running gear so it will have 1.6 hubs? The drive shafts are 1.6 gti ones so im sure the hubs are although the wishbones are different.

So what options do I have on those 1.6 hubs? will any bigger disks fit or will I need base or 1.9 hubs? going down the 1.9 route means new drive shafts.

I'm not going to be running round a track in it also.

Anyway I have a few brake bits available!!

I have 1.9 disks and calipers, also the 1.9 hubs

GTI 6 disks and calipers

306 xsi disks etc.

so do i just put the 1.9 calipers on my 1.6 hubs and disks in the short term with some good pads and wait until I need new drive shafts then do the gti 6 and 1.9 hubs

Then I also need to consider my back drums........... and to be honest the car stopped well anyway so what quick win options do you think I have for minimum effort to improve braking

Damo.

damo

forgot to add the 1.9 calpers have braded hoses

so my thoughs are two options -

get some 1.9 pads and fit the 1.9 calipers and braded hoses to my 1.6 disks

or get some base hubs and put the full gti 6 brakes on is and possibly use those hoses.

Then once the drive shafts are gone swap out for 1.9's?

SO cheapest option is some 1.9 pads I expect?

Edited by damo

Anthony

Personally I'd go with the 1.9 calipers first of all.

I've always found them more than up to the job on the road and for occasional track use even with decent standard pads, and don't see the need for GTi-6 brakes except for regular trackday folks if they're managing to overwhelm the 1.9 setup even after using some decent track oriented pads. Just make sure that they're in good order, in particular that the sliders move freely and smoothly.

damo

any recommended pads?

they seem to start from around £10.

lookslike there is two types also from a quick ebay search

Anthony

If you just want standard pads, I tend to use Ferodo Premier - cheap as chips and take track abuse surprisingly well!

(certainly my local Halfords tends to keep them on the shelf, and with a trade card they're about £12 from memory)

There's only really one variant of 1.9 GTi front caliper you'll find, despite what is implied by the catalogues - it's a Lucas-Girling caliper, and the pad shape looks like this:

PAD1005.jpg

It's shared with a few other French cars of the period, hence being so cheap and easily available - from memory, 309 GTi's, ZX TD's and Volcanes, Renault Clio's, Meganes, and I think 19's too, plus probably others :)

damo

thanks for the info :) so these looking at the pic

VALEO PRODUCT

Edited by damo

Miles

Yes, the other ones you find listed are for a Solid Disc with Girling Callipers fitted to allot of 1.6 309's

petert

You need what's called "standard" 205 hubs I think in the UK. We call them "Si" hubs here in Oz. Then you can use the 1.6L drive shafts with late model calipers and discs.

damo

the 1.9 calipers will bolt onto my 1.6 hubs right? doing a dearch i believe they do?

Anthony

1.9 calipers, pads, and bolts with 1.6 hubs and disks :)

petert

1.9 calipers, pads, and bolts with 1.6 hubs and disks :)

I didn't think that combination of GTi parts was possible, thus I suggested the base model hubs. You learn something everyday!