• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Powered Polisher / Mop / Buffer

allye

So I've now got the XS which has come with the standard phase 2 paint fade. My intial plan was to pay a body shop to do it correctly - at I assume a considerable amount. Now being a tight fisted 205 owner I'd rather give it a bash myself.

So questions, which one should I buy and avoid, the very limited knowledge I have suggests I need a random one with variable speeds so i can start low?

I am quite aware you can do damage with these, I'm going to do a lot of reading into to and youtube will teach me I'm sure! Its a skill I would like to learn and something that would be very useful, so please no comments telling me just pay some one who knows what they are doing to do it!

Cheers, Ali

pugpete1108

id be interested to find out the best way too, kinda got the right idea but its very easy to burn through the paint unless you keep the mop head wet.

i'll need to do this after painting mine.

allye

I was aware of wetter the better :ph34r:

Slo

Best one ive had/used is the halfords buffer, the green one to be specific lol its £34.99 at the minute and use the g3 polishing compounds number 2 and 3 (theres 1-4) then finish off with autoglym resin polish. Its the only buffer ive had that didnt burn out after a few uses and ive just had one cheap and nasty one from motosave that lasted 10 minutes lol i didnt even get to the end of the first panel.

Andy_C

Allye - if you're willing to head up to me I'll show you exactly what you need to know. Bring me a case of magners as payment as you'll be getting your hands dirty lol.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

I have a Silverline rotary polisher, not that dear and has done a couple of full cars and plenty of odds and ends now. To be honest once you have got the hang of it, it is not to be scared of. Water is essential, lots of it, beware it is a messy job, I usually get some throwaway paper overalls when I'm doing any large amount.

Andy_C

And no you don't need water just the right buffer. I've always thought it a bad idea to put an electric item in a bucket of water myself!

Tom Fenton

I think that is a bit of a sweeping statement. Mopping a freshly painted and flatted car needs water and compound to not burn the paint as you need to give it some welly to get the gloss finish. Certainly for a beginner I would NOT advise doing it dry, that is asking to burn through.

alphacharlie

allye,

Take a look over at "Detailing World" plenty of good advice and info on there,

I bought a Porter Cable 8 years or so ago and have never had a problem, with the correct pad and polish choice anything is possible and its easy to use safely, one day I may get a rotary to use along side it.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7424-Variable-Random-Orbit-Polisher/dp/B00004SUQ8

Thats the one I got but got mine direct from the states in a package deal, the Meguiars G220 is also another.

Wes

i have the silverline one for about £40. i have never done it wet, if you use the right cutting compounds and pads you shouldn't need water. as said above detailing world is a good source of knowledge. just be warned you will loose hours of your life browsing that forum lol.

MiniGibbo

As above get your self on detailing world dude, everything you need to know is on there

allye

nice one, cheers guys. I had seen the silver line one so thats prob the one to go for!

Andy_C

Yep, what do I know? Never machine polished paint on my life. Or indeed taught dozens of others how to safely. Or as it goes founded detailing world.

Offer stands Allye mate.

allye

Yep, what do I know? Never machine polished paint on my life. Or indeed taught dozens of others how to safely. Or as it goes founded detailing world.

Offer stands Allye mate.

Sorry Andy! I would jump at the offer but your a little far from me, 90miles <_< Have you got any hints and tips? Or if your feeling generous with your keyboard time a quick guide others may find useful? Although I imagine its mainly down to just doing it!

I'm going to start on my bonnet, as if I mess that up I can just change it!!

MiniGibbo

I was recommended to pick up a few scrap panels from a breaker and try all the different compounds, pads etc on them..

I plan to buy a set up for doing my 205, only ever hand polished in the past.

As I said above though dude, everything you'll want to know from what mitt to buy and the "two bucks method" all the way to paint correction is on detailing world..

allye

Detailing world is an absolute mass of information, forum is laid out crap as well! Bit of an overload going on there, you guys point me in the direction of any good threads?

MiniGibbo

Funnily enough I've just took my own advice and tried looking, I agree it's a mess..

When I wanted to get clued up on washing there was a stickie which explained it all..

I don't know anything about machine polishing but it looks to be "da" and "rotorys", how they differ I don't know.

The silverlibe rotary seems to be recommended and the das6pro DA seems to be recommended. What pads or stuff to put on them I don't understand....

MiniGibbo

That just talks of rotarys, are DA's not worth it then..?

alphacharlie

That just talks of rotarys, are DA's not worth it then..?

Try the "user submitted guide's" at the bottom of the page

;)

Andy_C

I never found guides much help TBH so

I self taught myself initially with DA then rotary.

I'll put some notes together but it's my Daughter's 5th birthday tomorrow so will be otherwise engaged lol.

allye

No worries Andy, won't be for a week or two so no rush. Cheers!

iPlod999

I purchased a polisher from toolstation. £40. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Sander+Polisher+180mm+/p84532

A soft and very soft polishing sponge. £4 each. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/Buffing+Polishing/Polishing+Sponge+150mm+Blue/d80/sd2694/p33265

Turtulewax black box.

and on my 1st attempt I got this:-

DSC_0028.jpg

Did not use water. Just make sure you mask up and maybe cover your windows. I makes a bit of a mess.

Tom Fenton

When I talk about water I am mopping a freshly painted and flatted car to get the finish. I still maintain when doing this you need water and lots of it to lubricate the surface as you are removing the material. That is how I have always done it, I've had cars I have painted and mopped on the front cover of magazines so must be doing something right.

allye

I'm certainly going to be starting wet and go from there!