• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

1.6/1.9 Front Discs

buster205

Hi All,

Are 1.6 and 1.9 front discs the same ? Am I correct in saying they are both 247mm diameter ? Can I fit 1.9 discs with 1.6 calipers/pads ?

Cheers

Ste

Anthony

They're the same diameter but different offsets.

The calipers themselves are the same offset/fitment, so your choice of disk depends on the hubs you're using - 1.6 hubs need 1.6 disks, whereas base model or 1.9 hubs need 1.9 disks.

You could use 1.6 calipers in place of 1.9 ones, but I'd question why, as the majority of 1.6 calipers are knackered these days and distinctly underwhelming in terms of braking performance compared to 1.9's, hence why it's a common swap for people to use 1.9 calipers/pads with 1.6 disks on 1.6 GTi's.

pugmarshall

For the sake of not opening another thread... Would 243mm 306 Dturbo brakes fit my 1.1 Junior?

Anthony

Yes, 247mm 306 DTurbo brakes will fit straight onto base model hubs, but assuming they're the ATE calipers then they don't seem to wear miles particularly well and - on a 306 at least - can be distinctly poor judging from the few examples I've owned or driven. The disks are actually identical to 1.9 disks, just the calipers and pads that differ.

(whether they'll fit under base model 13" wheels I don't know however)

• Like 1

pugmarshall

Sorry, I meant 247mm, I got confused between rear GTi-6/PH3 306 243mm discs. I have a pair of Bendix and a pair of Bosch ones (IIRC, might be Lucas) from previous Dturbo's, and a set of discs and pads, just wandered if it was worth doing...

Wheels aren't a problem as I've got 14"s. Good info, there, thanks alot ;)

RossD

Just for info, they will fit under a 13" wheel - I did this mod many moons ago!