• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
listerboy

Wheel Spacers

listerboy

i run a 1.6 gti, looking at running wheel spacers behind my standard 1.6 wheels. has any one had any tried this? or had any issuses with them??

jonny6

just make you sure you leave enough thread if your using standard wheel bolts , i.e spacers no more than 3mm , anything more than that get longer wheel bolts . spacers bigger than 16 mm use hubcentric spacers , they bolt to your hub , much safer .

listerboy

thanks, will be going to about 15mm for sprints, std on road.

welshpug

for what benefit?

listerboy

wider track! it helps with cornering grip coming out of corner. in touring cars we used to run different track for each track, depending on corner layout. it made huge improvments so for sprints/hillclimbs i will make the front track wider? the rear can stay normal i dont mind that wondering about oversteer will help turn in

welshpug

I think it will do more harm than good.

You don't see the 106/saxo boys spacing their rear wheels out, and thy are 40mm narrower than a 205 at the rear, and the same track as a 205 at the front to the MM, and they don't moan about wanting wider track ;)

best handling 205's I've seen have all been petty standard width at the rear, and much wider at the front.

Edited by welshpug

listerboy

well each to there own. 25 years in motorsport have told me that each driver has his own style, and im spacing the front not the rear. thanks.

Will Eastman

Im running 20/25mm (cant remember which) spacers on the rear of my 1.6. I would say defiantly go hubcentric especially if your going to be racing. I bought some custom longer bolts, nice and safe.

welshpug

ahh if youre talking for the front, 309 wishbones, will add 10mm each side and add camber.

Will Eastman

I'm pretty sure for 309 wishbones you'll have to run 309 driveshafts aswell.

johnnyboy666

hubcentric is essential, regardless of spacer width IMO the other kind might as well be out of a cracker.

Henry 1.9GTi

changing your contact patch centre without changed the steering axis or suspension arm geometry isn't going to help your car. I ran 15mm (each side) hubcentric spacers with the aim of increasing front track to reduce weight transfer without running a softer springand therefore losing camber. It didnt work. Car felt like the front literally wanted to "scrub" away its front tyres and was less understeery without the spacers.

Unfoortunately I no have to run them to get the car anywhere near low enough :(

listerboy

thanks guy, all good stuff!!! the 309 wishbone/driveshaft is worth looking at, and i have to say running my own race team i am happy to sit it on the flat patch a few times. if its no good ill go back to standard as you say that is good enough for lots of fun.