• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
listerboy

Torsion Bars Splines

listerboy

Hi probably been asked a thousand times, how much ,in ride height, does each spline lower the rear. i have a 1987 mk1 1.6?

• Like 1

welshpug

you don't do it by spline, you alter the distance between the damper bolts, usually with an adjustable dummy damper.

The ratio is roughly 2.7-1 IIRC (wheel rate to damper rate)

then you re-insert the torsion bar in whichever splines line up (there's 30 splines on the small end, 32 on the larger fixed end)

listerboy

ok cool easier than i thought if you use dummy damper for ride height. cheers

Anthony

If you really do want to do it by the "spline" method, then one spline is about 35-40mm.

You're much better off doing it as Welshpug described though by freeing off both ends of the torsion bar, which will allow you to set whatever ride height you want. Be sure to clean up and apply a liberal amount of copper grease to the splines upon reassembly so that it'll come apart nicely in the future if and when needed.

322mm on the dummy shock is standard height, and between 312-315mm to match typical 25-35mm lowering springs

listerboy

as in 25/35 mm front spring? cheers

Anthony

Yes - most typical lowering springs in my experience are between 25 and 35mm lower than standard, and the suggested dummy shock heights above should match those fairly well. The shorter the dummy shock length, the lower the car.

(the distances given assume a standard 205 GTi beam btw)

listerboy

yes car is totally std, 1 owner from new. strange, i set up lemans type race cars for last 25 years but have no idea about torsion bars on a 205!!!! cheers for the help

tdr_1976

I was going to ask the exact same question this morning!!

Has anyone ever made a guide with pictures, as to how this is done?

P.S - What do people use as a dummy shock?

Edited by tdr_1976

welshpug

yeah, there's an article on the main site, and I also posted my own thread a while ago.

re-dummy shock, I use a dummy shock I made, though I have an original Citroen one now too :D

Tom Fenton

Cheapest/quickest dummy shock is a length of 2x1" with two holes drilled in it at the desired centres.

I have a stainless steel posh adjustable one, but then I do lots of beams. If you just plan to do the one then the timber method above is A-OK, the main thing is to get both sides the same.

tdr_1976

Cheers gents, got plenty of 2x1....lol!

I'm going to go with the 312-315mm settings. Reason for this is I'm going to be doing a track evening with the car next month, it's on standard ride height at the moment.

welshpug

if you're used to how it behaves at the moment I'd leave it tbh, unless it has drastic rake at the moment!

I'd err on the 315mm side for standard bars, 312 looked a tad low for 25mm drop ventura springs.