• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tony55781

Radio Stopped Working

tony55781

Hi all dont know if anyone can help, but only recently bought my gti, the cd/radio was working fine, the lcd clock also fine, then yesterday both just stopped working!! :angry:

Anyone had this problem before?

Cheers

d7ve_b

Did the stereo make a small bang noise when it stopped working? If so, you could have a leaky heater matrix and its tripped the stereo (and maybe the clock). Worth checking..

Edited by d7ve_b

Slo

Ive just swapped my mk1 dash for mk2 dash and when i took the radio out noticed it was completely covered in rust and scale and luckily still works so i would assume this is the likely cause too, who wouldve thought tho and i never noticed any water inside the car.

Edited by Slo

tony55781

I did think that about the matrix, so pulled the stereo out and checked that. Found the fuse keeps blowing, so replaced the fuse and the radio worked for a bit till the fuse blew again!

Put a new one in and noticed the radio was permanently live and wouldn't switch off when the ignition was off!

Within mins the fuse had popped again!

Driving me up the wall!

Slo

i had a 605 that became permanent live automatically on the radio live i never did find out what caused it and ive still got all the wiring from it and nothing looks melted, one odd thing that manifested after this happened was that with the radio up really loud it would lose power and turn off, even the original radio did this afterwards as well and i only noticed it because the radio flap used to close itself when you turned the ignition off and afterwards it just stopped on/open. never had any fuse problems tho. i suspect a loose connection or a trapped wire that is touching another wire somewhere maybe just a single strand. could also be water in the wiring if the matrix has been leaking!

allye

The radio fuse also feeds interior lighting, central locking and the clock. If it keeps blowing a circuit has developed a short some where. If you have access to a power probe and multi meter it should be relatively easy to sort.

Also the radio should have one constant live feed, thats what keeps all you radio settings.

Edited by allye

tony55781

Ah! had noticed that the cdl and interior lights had stopped working, didnt click that they were all related!

cheers

tony55781

Had it all apart on my lunch today and found nothing obvious. So replaced the fuse again but by chance found that the fuse poped when I turned the key on the drivers door for the central locking! Would that be down to a faulty motor in drivers door?

steve@cornwall

or worn / chafed wire where it passes through the door frame, especially if its an older model without the plug on a pillar

allye

Almost certainly the wires going from the door to the wing as Steve says. My XS has done exactly this, I've just unplugged it for now as I don't have time to sort it at the mo!

tony55781

That's what I've done, will look at it a bit more in depth at a later date,

can do without CDL for now, least radio is working.

Cheers for the help.