• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

Replacing Mullered Nipples

MiniGibbo

The nipples on my 205 are well past their best, they're all seized and in guessing likely to snap/round

What's my best way of getting them out..? At the moment I haven't touched them until I know how to so I don't bollocks them worse tbh lol.

I was thinking of socking them daily in wd40 for a week the atackinng them with molegrips..?

welshpug

WD40 wont do much, you need a proper penetrating fluid.

also would not go near them with a mole grip, a 6 sided socket will be enough if they're at all iffy, but a normal ring spanner and tap the end with a small hammer as you put the nipple under rotational pressure will help.

if you really are scared they may snap I;d just drill them straight away, small bits working up in small steps, taking care not to drill sight down to the seat.

sam-barker

definately dont use a spanner!

In the past ive soaked in WD40 then used a 1/4 drive socket/ratchet on it and been successful

allye

use spray like power spray or something, if I remember your brakes have been upgraded to larger vented? So they have more than likely been bled in the last few years so may well be fine.

As WP says, don't go near them with mole grips! Use a decent spanner or socket.

shalmaneser

Is this on a 1.9 or 1.6, and front or rear?

If it's a 1.6 then I'd advise going for some reconned 1.9 calipers, yes they're a bit heavier but the design is so much better and the nipples won't corrode into the alloy caliper body.

If it's on the back of a 1.9 and they're stuck in good 'n proper then you're likely just going to have to take the calis off and drill out the nipples and fit brass nipple inserts, or fit new calipers.

mole grips definitely not the way, nice deep 11mm (IIRC) socket is the way to go.

allye

nice deep 11mm (IIRC) socket is the way to go.

Nipples are not 11mm, its a Rallye with some 206 gti brakes and I assume standard base model beam - although that makes no odds in terms of nipples.

MiniGibbo

As Allye said really, I tried a front nipple and that started to round when I tried with a spanner, I'll get some proper spray and soak them then try a six sided next weekend.

The rears I can only imagine are even worse lol..

grantpug

I use a irwin bolt extractor bit on stuck nipples and they come straight out. No soaking or fluid needed.

MiniGibbo

What's involoved in that drilling it then "reversing" it out..?

Tom Fenton

Be under no illusion that drilling them out needs to be done with a lot of care. You may as well try and undo it first, if it shears so be it. If it has sheared first take a small belt sander or file and tickle the top flat. Then you need to identify the thread size and pitch. The rears are 7x1. This means the minor dia of th female thread is 6mm. Thus pick a drill the next size down, 5.5 for e.g.

Now you need to drill it, being as careful as you can to drill it square and down the middle. Also do not go too deep as if you nick the seat the new nipple won't seal. Once you have done this it is a case of picking away with something pointy to get the remains out, it is thin enough now to be able to be broken up and got out in bits.

grantpug

No, you just tap an appropriate size extractor socket on the nipple then use with a ratchet. The grooves inside the irwin sockets grip onto every rounded nut or bolt i have ever had a problem with.

MiniGibbo

Have you got a link to one of these grantpug..?

Sounds similar to the locking wheel nut tool but on a smaller scale...

GLPoomobile

For penetrating fluid, I use Plusgas, and it's has worked very well for me.

Grez28

If they were mine I would start of by giving them a quick scrub up with a wire brush and a spray with release oil, If they are really corroded give the flats a clean up with a small file, I would then find a 1/4 drive 6 sided socket (7 mm if I remember correctly) and use a short 1/4 drive ratchet to try and undo the nipple with steady force. If it seems really tight try just giving it a nip a little tighter and then try and undo it again. I've done loads of these and they very rarely snap. Just got be patient.

Graham

Paul_13

Any one got a website for replacement bleed nipples?

MiniGibbo

Do Peugeot not sell them..?

welshpug

yes they do.

MiniGibbo

Thought they would, that's what I planned.

I'm guessing they're all the same, I don't need any different ones for my 266's..?

welshpug

not all the same, you need to check which ones you have, depends which calipers, there's over half a dozen different 266mm calipers I'd imagine

allye

Good bolt extractors or easy outs, are the tits. Although once you've had your car apart once you shouldn't really need them again!

I remember reading on here that some people include cracking the nipples off as part of a service, good idea.

Paul_13

This is the service box part number for the 1.9 GTI bleed nipple

4428 44

SCREW AND CAP

Alan_M

I use a irwin bolt extractor bit on stuck nipples and they come straight out. No soaking or fluid needed.

Whilst the Irwin bolt extractors are great, I'd personally not use them on rounded off nipples. The torque that you can apply to get a stubborn bolt/nipple to budge can be big. I doubt a nipple would handle it and just shear off.

Drilling them is a nightmare too. I had to do it on my Mums calipers. I found a hand drill or ideally a pillar drill useful, but the nipple holes are usually offset so a 30' drill angle is required (example, they all differ).

I find just cracking them once a year helps. And I use a 6 sided ring spanner to 'nip' them up. Problems tend to crop up when open spanners are used and too much tightening.

Quite sure I got a load from Motorists Discount Centre in Whitley. Keep an eye on your car though ;)

This thread has just reminded me of a job to do on the 205. I've a load of Wilwood spares for my 4 pots, and wanted to fit the brass inner adaptor on the standard rear calipers, and use the smaller Wilwood steel nipple.

Ryan

Any motor factors should have bleed nipples.