• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harryskid

Wider Back Tyres

harryskid

Has anyone tried wider back tyres and narrower ones on the front. My thoughts are for tarmac rallying. I normally use a wide slick all round and with a plated diff , no power steering and loads of bhp its a bit of a handfull. Also i have bias brakes. My inter tyres are narrower and i find the car turns in more easier, so this makes steering better. Would this say with 205/55r15 on the back and185/55r15 on the front work.? Your thoughts please.

Batfink

would this make it understeer significantly? I would have thought front traction and cornering speed would be reduced. I'd rather fit powersteering

petert

Normally the other way around, so the backs heat up faster.

harryskid

I have a power steering set up i've bought not long ago but its going to add more clutter to my engine bay which is now got a nice bit of clear space and reduces heat build up. Plus the set up i bought is meant for a gti6 but i'am not quite sure it is. It has a bracket for the pump which mounts on the gear box and the belt from what i can make out runs down to it from a pully where the vacum pump use to be. Thats would be ok but there is a couple of metal water pipes to get around. The tank goes on the bulkhead or the wing. The other worry i have is i have a quick rack,will a power steering one be as good. Does anyone know of this powering steering set up, it came of a 205 apparently and looks to be in good order.My other option might be to run 185s all round.

allanallen

That sounds like an mi16 or diesel 205 PAS setup, they sit on the gearbox and run off the cam (exhaust cam on mi). Standard PAS racks are usually 3.2 turn lock to lock.

Remember a 205/55 tyre would be taller than a 185/55 aswell. As batfink says its quite common to run narrower tyres on the rear of a FWD car not the other way around though.

Edited by allanallen

harryskid

That sounds like an mi16 or diesel 205 PAS setup, they sit on the gearbox and run off the cam (exhaust cam on mi). Standard PAS racks are usually 3.2 turn lock to lock.

Remember a 205/55 tyre would be taller than a 185/55 aswell. As batfink says its quite common to run narrower tyres on the rear of a FWD car not the other way around though.

The guy sent me a picture of the engine it came off and it did not look right to me unfortunately i had received the set up by then. Iwill post the picture on here to morrow. Thanks for the help.

shalmaneser

surely instead of reducing the front footprint you'd be better off fitting power steering if the steerings heavy with a diff?

harryskid

This is the engine the power steering came from, to me its def not a gti6

f13x5.jpg

TT205

For a completely standard car .... but doing hill climbs ....

I bought some 195 55 15 AD08's purely cos they were cheap 2nd hand - unfortunately they are so wide!!!! I had to fit spacers on ALL wheels and on the rear they rubbed the valance/arches as soon as you dropped the jack - never mind accelerated/braked etc - this was on a standard car - if you have upped the dummy shock height and have more clearance you may be ok, if not then a 205 55 sounds like a no-hoper

I'm now running the AD08's on the front and boggo's on the rear - but it works for me so far!

harryskid

This is the engine the power steering came from, to me its def not a gti6

f13x5.jpg

Is this an mi motor ?

welshpug

yup.

harryskid

yup.

Thanks , well thats not going to work on my gti6 back to the drawing board!

rallyeash

For a completely standard car .... but doing hill climbs ....

I bought some 195 55 15 AD08's purely cos they were cheap 2nd hand - unfortunately they are so wide!!!! I had to fit spacers on ALL wheels and on the rear they rubbed the valance/arches as soon as you dropped the jack - never mind accelerated/braked etc - this was on a standard car - if you have upped the dummy shock height and have more clearance you may be ok, if not then a 205 55 sounds like a no-hoper

I'm now running the AD08's on the front and boggo's on the rear - but it works for me so far!

be fine with coilovers surely? i run 195 50 15 R888's with loads of clearance

TT205

be fine with coilovers surely? i run 195 50 15 R888's with loads of clearance

Front is fine with the spacers on standard front struts let alone coilovers - it's the rears

I've also run 195 50 15's fine, but these are 55's not 50's and they are more like 205's not really 195's - hence needing the 10mm spacers and hence being pushed out onto the wheel arch/valance at the rear

Edited by TT205

harryskid

I shall most likley carrying on using the set up i have at the moment, i'am more pissed off with buying the wrong power steering set up! :(