• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

Brakes Grinding And Smelling

Will Eastman

Have just put some 1.9 girling calipers on my 1.6 as abit of an upgrade. Before they went on I gave them a rub down and they seemed good. Once on I bled them and then went for a drive.

The brakes are pretty uninspiring, and I struggled to lock up. When stopping the was a sort of grinding sound, as if the pads were made of rock or something. Also the brake were putting out quite a smell, not sure if this was due to some fluid or cv grease that may have got on there (though i did my best to clean this off). The pads that went on looked pretty good with a good bit of life (though im no expert).

Any help would be great, cheers.

Paul_13

What hubs and what discs are you using?

welshpug

sounds like corroded dics or seized sliders, or possibly even knackered or kinked flexis.

Will Eastman

Running full 1.6 setup but with 1.9 calipers, i thought the discs looked ok and the flexi hoses are new. Im no expert on brakes by any means but the calipers seemed to be moving freely when I had them off the car.

Cheers

allye

Contaminated pads?....

205kenny

Did you check your sliders and caliper piston moved freely?

Will Eastman

The sliders were moving nicely I'd say, but the pistons wernt really, wasn't sure how freely they should have been moving :s.

Lan

the piston on each caliper wont be easy to push but shouldnt be impossible either, with the cap off the master cylinder reservoir you should be able to lever the piston back all the way into the caliper with a screwdriver inbetween the outside of the outer pad and the caliper housing if you understand what I mean