• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

205 Gti6 - 10Mm Front Drop - No Coilovers!

shalmaneser

I want to raise the front end of my 205 to nearer standard height - just a smidge lower ideally. I'm currently running Eibach front springs with a 309 rear beam and a 24mm rear ARB, and with the gti6 engine there just isn't enough suspension travel on the front end. I'd like to run a slightly softer front end compared to the Eibach springs (7001s? I think that's the product code) as I'm not happy with the front/rear balance of the car with the stock 309 TBs.

are there any options - i've rear about using VTS springs but the front end of the 205 is bound to be lighter than even the VTS so I'd probably end up with a higher than stock ride height.

Or, do I just need to take the hit and get some coilovers? If so, what sort of poundage spring would be equivalent to the Eibachs - I know they're progressively wound, I'm just looking for a rough starting point ATM!

Anthony

There's a few springs out there that sit higher than Eibachs - the purple springs included with the Koni adjustable suspension kits for example sit at about the height you're looking for

IMG_3135.sized.jpg

Not the best picture in the world and that's with an 1.9 8v, so would drop a little lower once you fit a boat anchor.

VTS springs will be a fair bit higher poundage than the 205 ones, and certainly standard VTS springs will sit high on a 205. Lowered VTS springs might work out height wise, but again, they'll be higher poundage.

Of course, the other option if you want softer than Eibachs and only a fraction lower height wise than a standard 205 is just to fit standard springs - the additional weight of the '6 will likely lower it a touch over standard.

pug_ham

I've got some scruffy looking PLR 180lb front springs for standard shocks spare which apparently drop the car slightly, I've never fitted them but a few on here have used them before & found them OK afaik.

Either any of the springs as suggested by Anthony or some 309 GTI springs would give you the drop you're looking for imo.

g

Baz

309 springs.

lemmingzappa

If you end up using coilovers then 180lb springs seem to match the 309 tb's well, although i don't know if the poundage is affected with a heavier engine ?

shalmaneser

309 springs.

309 gti springs? Got any kicking about you'd like to send my way?

I guess they should be a perfect match with the 309 rear end!

Batfink

Eibach Pro kit springs are not exactly stiff so i'd say its standard 205 or 309 springs.

johnnyboy666

not sure if they are adaptable in your application (i used them on a base model so droplinks werent an issue) but 306gti6 front shocks seem to have an extra bit of length on them, and raise the ride height when installed, or so I found

Baz

309 gti springs? Got any kicking about you'd like to send my way?

I guess they should be a perfect match with the 309 rear end!

Yep and yep! :)

Alastairh

Personally i would go for lower Xsara springs that offer the extra poundage the iron motor needs. I've driven my brothers old 205 plenty of times with a iron block valver and was not impressed with the poundage of some 205-309 lowering springs at higher speeds.

Al

shalmaneser

Personally i would go for lower Xsara springs that offer the extra poundage the iron motor needs. I've driven my brothers old 205 plenty of times with a iron block valver and was not impressed with the poundage of some 205-309 lowering springs at higher speeds.

Al

I'm gonna give the 309 springs a go first, although I can see Xsara springs working; have you got any spare and what do you want for them?!

shalmaneser

I've recently fitted the 309 springs - and they're significantly better than the Eibach springs which are just too soft for the gti6 engine IMO. Would highly recommend the upgrade if you're not on coilovers and using a gti6 engine.

Alastairh

Are these standard 309 springs? What does the ride height look like?

Al

shalmaneser

Yeah just standard ones. Ride height higher than with the Eibachs, but lower than standard. I'll take a pic at some point. I'm very happy with it indeed, the spring rate is much better too.

pug_ham

I'd expect the ride height of a 205 GTI with a GTI-6 engine on 309 springs won't be much different to my old STDT on 309 springs.

dscf2948zi1.jpg

g

j_turnell

Are 309 springs still available from pug??

Paul_13

Depends if you can decipher this

5002 T1

SUSPENSN SPRING

2 RED + 1 YELLOW

2 RED + 1 BLUE

5002 55

2 BLUE + 1 GREEN

2 BLUE + 1 YELLOW

5002 56

NFP

2 BLUE

1 RED + 1 YELLOW

5002 57

NFP

1 RED + 1 GREEN

1 GREEN + 1 YELLOW

5002 67

NFP

3 BLUE

3 GREY

5002 68

NFP

3 YELLOW

2 GREY + 1 BLUE

5002 RY

1 BLUE + 1 WHITE + 1 RED

2 WHITE + 1 RED

3 GREEN + 1 YELLOW

5002 RX

2 BLUE + 2 GREY

2 YELLOW + 2 GREY

5002 37

2 RED

2 YELLOW

( never pastes the same as you see it on servicebox )

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

most seem to be, but as to which you need to get is a mystery unless someone remembers the colour codes or has some un-rusty 20 year old springs!

j_turnell

Well that's helpful haha. Wonder If using a chassis number would narrow it down...

welshpug

I doubt it, too old :lol:

j_turnell

I'll give my parts man a ring at pug. He's pretty good and used to have a 309 gti so may be able to shed some light on the right part number.

pug_ham

I've got the 309 GTI struts I had on my STDT, I'll see if there are any colours left on the springs.

g