• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

205/309 Gti Recon Driveshafts >

SurGie

Hi,

I currently have some 309 GTi/Auto drive shafts, at least when i bought them a year or so ago i was told they and other bits i got were from an auto 309, the speedo i know comes from the Auto type 1.9 309's. Anyway the ones i have fit the 205 GTi hubs all fine, they also have the pin holes at the end.

Im debating whether to use these with new Peugeot boots at a cost of around £150, or i could just go out and buy a recon set. The reason why i dont is all the talk/threads etc talking about how they go bad or the boots break. Now i dont want either to happen and wonder what other members experiences are with all the different types/makes of the recon driveshafts are, and where you bought them from.

Also, if anyone knows what actually gets done to driveshafts when they do get reconditioned would be a great help in deciding.

Thanks,

GT.

welshpug

you running an auto box?

SurGie

Sorry i forgot to mention, these particular driveshafts do fit and work in the 205 1.9 diff. As said, it was a while ago when i got them so i cant remember for certain if they are auto shafts.

And no i'm not using any auto box, VTS is the one im using.

allanallen

Are the boots knackered, any play in the joints?? If not stop worrying and just fit them.

Some re-con shafts are very good and some are s*it, from my experience it's the joints themselves that are poor and you can only tell once they're fitted and in use.

Saying that the ones I've had problems with we're fine under everyday driving/fast road use, it was only on track where problems became apparent. Depending on what your doing with the car you may never have a problem, even with a shaft a lot of us may deem s*it.

welshpug

just get corrteco or GKN boot kits from gsf, save yourself £100.

they wont be auto shafts, they don fit the diff.

Edited by welshpug

SurGie

Thanks for the info guys.

The car will be driven via fast road/part time track driving. The boots were in ok'ish nick but as everything else in the engine has been reconditioned and painted etc i didn't want rusty driveshafts in there. So to clean and de rust them the old boots had to be taken off. There seems to be no play in them when i checked them over, but im sure that wont guarantee they are ok to use on full steering lock etc.

Are the GKN boots just as good as the Peugeot kits and do they have the full parts included as a kit like what Peugeot sell ? Its been a while but im sure i read that the GSF boot kits have broke apart.

Could the shafts come from a 1.9 309 gti auto ?

Is it right that when the boots get fitted not to do the straps up 'too' tight ?

SurGie

Ive just rang GSF and they only sell the 'Derco' type boot kits for the wheel sides only for £8.34, they dont sell full kits.

Any other ideas ?

edit > Just called Euro car parts and they only sell the Q drive type boot kits ???

Peugeot maybe the only be the best place to get them from at a price.

Edited by SurGie

SurGie

I thought i'd give Neat Auto's a quick call and was told the 'corteco' type are no longer being made and they only have 1 side set left. So i asked them to check their suppliers and will know more later on, i will let you know in case any other member needs a quality set for what ever reason.

If anyone can shed some light on the above makes quality and any other experiences would be very helpful.

Cheers GT

welshpug

dirko is a corteco brand iirc

SurGie

It gets more and more complicated as usual. Anyway of knowing for certain Dirco were corteco, ie a link of some sort ?

I rang them back up and the manager had to go out so ill know more tomorrow at some point.