• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sambaileyw

Nuts On Top Of Struts..

sambaileyw

Sooo, today I decided I'd put my new suspension on the car.. chucked the front struts on no problem, after getting them on I realised that the Nylok nuts (23mm) on top of the strut weren't even finger tight.. these are brand new so is this odd?

Also if it is normal whats the best method, theyre on spherical bearings if this makes any difference, can i just hold the 23mm nut, and tighten with a 5mm allen key bit in a torque wrench upto the appropriate value?

Thanks for any info

Regards Sam

sam-barker

I always put a 23mm socket in a pair of mole grips and used them to tighten it whilst I hold the top of the strut with an Allen key

sambaileyw

So you don't torque them to anything specific?

sambaileyw

Yeh I thought it was 45nm meh ill just do it the way I specified at the top just thought it was odd that they came and theyre not even finger tight! :huh:

sambaileyw

ermmm right.. so had a go at tightening the finger tight strup top nuts yesterday excuse my mistake theyre 22 not 23 ^_^..

anyways, to paint a picture the nuts werent even tightened to the nylok, so I dropped a 22mm spanner on them and an allen key and tried to tighten, it went tight obviously, but didnt touch the nylok.

Having a look for anyone suffering the similar problem I discovered this.. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=133814...

so they are gaz golds with ecc top mounts bought through the group buy.. now im a little confused surely since I bought them as "one" i.e. strut with top mount they would have put a suitably long piston rod on??

anyone else had this problem? :wacko:

welshpug

send them back to have the problem sorted?

sambaileyw

This is the plan sir.. just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue.. doesnt make any sense to me!