• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Lacquer Has Started Peeling :(

Daviewonder

Sad times. I was round my parents house earlier rebuilding a rear beam, I mentioned to my Dad that I was rebuilding the beam to go on my red 205, he said the paint was flaking off, I said doesn't matter as I'm going to paint it in a bit, he said "not the beam, the car!"

I went and had a look and sure enough the lacquer has started peeling off the tailgate. I feel a bit down as this was my finest example of gti.

Anyone else got this problem? I doubt I would just be able to get the tailgate painted as a colour match would be tricky as the car's a orangy colour Cherry red. Anyone had a successful colour match on a 20+ year old car, or am I looking at a complete exterior repaint? Anyone manager to relacquer part of a panel?

:( :( :(

rallysteve

the laquer is peeling on my 90' 1.6 which isnt too faded. However my slightly faded 89' cherry red I found that the halfords cherry red is a perfect match!

I am going to have go at sanding the laquer off the tailgate on mine to see if i can salvage it, although the paint in one area below has faded. I figured if I can sand the laquer off I can then cut back the paint to try and save it!

Steve

sensualt101

i like you have bits of laquer peel and varying shades of cherry red on my car ultimately meaning i will have a complete everthing removed respray as i am advised thats what it will take to make it perfect ( as i want it to be eventually! ) but in the meantime i found a guy who does repairs to paint by using a peice of equipment to accurately match paint to repair the area needing attention! and it does a fair job to reseal the area with broken laquer but to me is a short term fix.

welshpug

I didn't think a red 205 was laquered? so if not its likely to have had paint in its past at some point.

SurGie

Which type of lacquer/paint were they originally painted in, was it 1k, 2k, cellulose/acrylic/water based ?

Daviewonder

I didn't think a red 205 was laquered? so if not its likely to have had paint in its past at some point.

I stand to be corrected but,

As far as I know all GTI's were originally laquered. Since the mid 90's, between us myself and a few mates have owned several of most colour GTIs and they've all been laquered. Would make sense for the ones that aren't laquered to be the repainted ones?

I've owned 3 Cherry reds and they've all been laquered.

Anyone out there in the know?

steve@cornwall

Some are some aren't......think the "0" in the paint code is the give away....

sambaileyw

I was also under the impression that they aren't laquered isn't it a thicker paint? (that might sound stupid) my mates 106 rallye aint laquered either (to my knowledge) ... but as above happy to be corrected :)