• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BusEngineer

Power Steering System Advice

BusEngineer

Im currently fitting my GTi6 engine and im making use of the power steering to power my VTS rack, it came with the 205 cooling pipe which lives under the passenger floor.

My question is, is it strictly necessary? Does the PS oil really get that warm? If i can run without the cooling part of the system i will, its just extra joins/leak points, but im seeking the advice of the forum before doing so :)

Im more than happy to be told not to be stupid but i thought id ask! :ph34r:

Edited by BusEngineer

allanallen

My track car uses a 106 electric pas pump with very short pipe work and no cooler, i've not had any problems so far.

I'm also in the process of fitting pas to my road rally car, I'm not fitting a cooler to this either. If I feel it's getting warm though I've got a small air/oil cooler I'll fit in the low pressure return pipe, rather than the pipe under the car.

I honestly don't think I'll have any problems without one though,especially with the larger header tank.

Al

BusEngineer

Just the advice I was after, cheers fella much appreciated

(null)

Anthony

I agree with Allan that it's not needed, certainly in the mild UK climate anyhow.

My 205 is running without quite happily, as have some previous 205 and 309's that I've had, and all of those have been with the standard 205 reservoir which (I'm guessing) holds a smaller fluid volume than the 306/Xsara set up.

marksorrento205

I only ran the gti6 HP pipe from the pump to the rack and the return straight from the rack to the ressy. Never had an issue with it mate :)

cybernck

405 T16 has a radiator thing (well, a pipe doing a U turn, joined with lots of fins) behind the bumper which is prone to rotting

and leaking, leaving you stranded on a side of the road. I removed it and had no problems with PAS. The only time I've had

an issue of PAS overheating is when using my old 205 GTI for half an hour (or longer) session of autoslalom/autotesting training,

where everything under bonnet is baking hot, due to insufficient cooling (low speeds) and I'm sure the OE pipe cooler thing

wouldn't make much difference in this case :).