• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Braided Line Fitting Depth

chipstick

I popped some GTi6 front brakes on today, and came across an issue with the union on the end of the copper line.

For a start, one side wouldn't twist on the pipe and wanted to kink the copper so I had to take the caliper off and untwist that and the hose as one.

Anyway, when refitting I started to thread the braided line (pug racing) on to the union of the copper line and after a few turns I felt resistance and the line itself started spinning indicating it had been tightened enough (hardly at all though) and the collar had been pulled up and met inside. I took it off and had a look. It's as if my unions are longer than the depth of the braided lines. Looking at the original rubber hoses, they are fairly deep as well.

Do these look longer than standard? It's possible they have been replaced at some point in the cars life.

5cbeb92a.jpg

Excuse the poor image.

For the mean time I'm running the 205 rubber hoses.

40a78aa9.jpg

allye

Union looks normal size, although that one looks fooked!

I'm sure you know, but doing it today reminded me that the union has to be absolutely cock on straight to get it to bight correctly. Cross threading?

welshpug

you need full threaded unions not ones with a plain lead.

chipstick

Yeah. It's knackered as it doesn't turn inside and needed vice grips on it as it was rounded.

I think I'm going to have to nip to a garage in the week and get the front lines and unions replaced and let them it the braided ones and replace the fluid at the same time.

Not got long left, combe is next Sat.

The pedal travel surprises me. That could be down to one my bleeding. But they work more than good enough to get it to the garage for a fluid change and what not

chipstick

you need full threaded unions not ones with a plain lead.

Are they full threaded as standard? Good chance mines had replacement lines at some point then.

dave205

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but fluid are you going to run?

My braided lines are the same, the wind down into the caliper but stop before they meet on the copper seal, as if the hole in the caliper isnt deep enough, is that similair to what yours are like?

welshpug
80.jpg

chipstick

Caliper end is fine. They screw down nicely.

I'm probably going to run standard fluid. As a garage will be doing the lines they will use whatever they usually use. I dont have time to try flaring my own lines. Although a friend tells me that is the old school way and you can buy olive fittings which clamp down. To be honest, where brakes are concerned I like piece of mind so will get a garage to sort it.