• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TheHawk

Gr 5 Door Unknown Wires

TheHawk

Hi there guys i have been working on my GR and when i brought it some monkey had already started work on the wiring and not labelled it up! I have managed to trace most wires back to there correct homes but a few are giving me a bit of grief and i was hoping to get a bit of assistance.

The First bit of confusion starts at a black junction box coming of the battery that lots of things feed into i have a found a few things that go into but there are some gaps as you can see in the picture bellow.

IMG_2021.jpg

The next one is on of the connectors cracked in half pictured below next to the head light connector and im struggling to find a home for it.

IMG_2019.jpg

and finally this connector sits to the right of the rocker cover but im not sure what its for.

IMG_2031.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated i know some of these may be stupid questions but i am only 18 and still learning the ropes

Much love Dale

welshpug

gaps are normal, they'd be filled on higher spec vehicles

looks like earth wires, check the numbers.

for diagnostic purposes, engine speed sensor, not used these days unless you find someone with the very old dealer diagnostics kit.

BERTMAN

edit: just realised its an earth plug split in half!

Edited by BERTMAN

TheHawk

Hi guys thanks for the reply just a quick one does anyone know where the cracked earth plug would go? thanks for the replies

Dale

Josh_Quant

Yellow and green wires on broken plug?

Weser

Hi guys thanks for the reply just a quick one does anyone know where the cracked earth plug would go? thanks for the replies

Dale

Next to the headlights there are usually earthing terminals connected to the chasis (well there is on my gti). Could try there for earthing if you have them? Unless someone knows better where they actually plug?

jonXS

i think that plug is not used, on my xs ive got one in the same place thats not plugged into anything. Ill have a quick look later to fully confirm it

TheHawk

Thanks John that would be greatly apriciated if you could!

Dale

jonXS

hi dale,

i finally got a day spare to look at the wires for you and the brown one that i have and believe is the same as yours, connects to a sensor thing on the front panel of the car (looks the same as the one on the top of the rad) or it could possibly be for spot lights?

sorry for the late reply mate hope it helps

jon

TheHawk

Thanks jon it was very helpful it my car seems to have no issues and i tested all the major stuff i booked it in for an mot so we will find out Monday if it was anything major but i think your on the right lines with spot lights!

allye

connects to a sensor thing on the front panel of the car (looks the same as the one on the top of the rad) or it could possibly be for spot lights?

The one on the front panel of the car is indeed the dim/dip switch, the other small metal cylinder usually mounted on the radiator (if it hasn't fallen off by now) is the radiator fan switch.

pug_ham

The broken brown plug looks like to the side light or wing indicator repeater loom imo.

g

eLi_205

that one in the last picture is reffered to (in the Service Box) as the "Diagnostic Socket"