• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnny_B_GTI

Steering Issue (When Turning Left)

Johnny_B_GTI

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advise on issue I have with the steering on my 1.9 205 GTI. I have Koni shocks front and rear, so not the standard suspension.

Sometimes when turning left at speed there seems to be some movement somewhere. Once I have set the steering wheel to turn left, the car starts to turn in but then after about a second turns in even some more (with out moving the wheel or lifting off the throttle) and there is a very small knock (not everytime depends on how fast you are going - sometimes there is no knock). This only happens when turning left, going right is fine.

Could this be the drop links?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks.

tri_longer

Check the wishbone to hub balljoint, sounds very similar to what I have had before.

Anthony

Agree with the above - something relating to the hub/balljoint will cause those exact symptoms, be it a loose clamp bolt, ovalled hub, or completely knackered balljoint.

welshpug

Could also be the rear beam if severely shot.

Johnny_B_GTI

Thanks for the comments lads.

Hoping this is not the rear beam, I bought it with a 309 gti beam already fitted but not sure how long thats been on the car for (i had it under a year)

Any telling signs to look out for with this?

Clearly need to get the car jacked up to take a look over the weekend.