• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

Miami Blue Colour

cybernck

Miami Blue colour has always seemed to differ way too much from one photo to another.

Of course, it depends on the light, camera and eventual post-production, but I'm talking about radical differences here.

In some photos, the colour looks very deep and saturated, while in others it's too just too flat and pale.

Does it fade much with time, so a fresh coat of Miami Blue looks rather different than old OE finish or what?

The other colour I've noticed has the same effect is Laser Green - sometimes it looks proper "laser-ish" and sometimes quite pastel.

Your thoughts please :).

niagra

My Miami is the original paint, yet looks pretty fresh. I think the first owner, who had the car until a couple of years ago kept it garaged (as do I), so that's probably why. At last year's Pugfest, I saw a car with a recent respray and mine didn't look too shabby at all. On that basis, I would say that it doesn't fade too much over time.

Baz

LE's were a lighter, washed out shade and the later Ph2's were a deeper shade which is probably why they always seem different, i much prefer the Ph2, it's has much more depth. There's apparently a lot more shades in total though too!

cybernck

Hmm, I think you may be on to something here, as Ph1 Miami Blue cars have always looked less colour-intense than Ph2 cars.

I thought It may have been down to grey trim instead of black and orange indicators all-round though.

miamibungers

Weren't the later cars built/painted in Spain hence the issues with lacquer on the later ph2 cars? I needed to have my Miami repainted due to the lacquer on the roof. I take it the LE's & ph2's are the same paint code?

(null)

cybernck

I don't think that it matters, as my 1993 Miami (presumably built in Spain) has got completely faded lacquer on the roof too :).

miamibungers

Yep, that's exactly why I had mine done, it's a 1993 also. The earlier models don't seem to suffer in the same way?

(null)

Baz

Pretty sure it's widely known! Put an LE next to a Ph2 Miami and they're completely different!

Hell i've had multiple Ph2 Miami's that look different;

IMG_0707_001.jpg

DSC00187-1.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

:lol:

miamibungers

cheers Baz, some good comparison shots there.

Anthony

Weren't the later cars built/painted in Spain hence the issues with lacquer on the later ph2 cars?

Lacquer issues I believe are more down to the move over to water based paint that happened around the same time.

Baz is correct though in that the 1990 LE Miami's are a very different shade to the later 1991 onwards Phase 2 Miami's, and that there does seem to be noticeable differences (as per his pictures) between cars that should on paper have the same paint on them.

Baz

Pointing out the obvious though, there's no accounting for paintwork that may have been done over the years! Certainly a couple of mine above weren't original!

cybernck

OK, so it wouldn't be a blasphemy to slightly "tune" the colour for a respray :).

Bogsye

I doubt it would do any harm to 'tune' the shade a little bit, but I do wonder how the depth of lustre/laquer affects the perception of the colour too (albeit the early and later do seem to be different shades).

Does anyone know who manufactured the factory paint? I'm assuming on metallics this might make a slight difference?

Brian