• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Knocking Arb Bushes/gearbox Mount

chipstick

I have an occasional knocking to the front of my 205.

The drop links are fine, and someone suggested it could be the gearbox mount or possibly the ARB bushes.

My gearbox mount looked fine when I removed it to do my conversion. Are they a common failure that causes a knocking? I have a solid rear mount, and a well packed top engine mount so strain may have been put on it lately.

The poly ARB bushes look fine also. It went through an MOT recently without any issues around the area and I read that being poly, they fair pretty well.

rallysteve

When does the knocking happen, when going over bumps or coming off and on the power?

Steve

chipstick

It's just when going along normaly. Only notice when going slow enough to be able to hear :D

deathbringer929

sounds similar to symptoms i had on my 1.9 are your drop links pattern or oe parts? mine were pattern and didnt have enough movement in the ball joints. the cause of the knock was the roll bar flicking sideways only a very small amount. oe drop links cured it.

i removed one drop link and road tested to find the knock had gone. an easy one to rule out if it isn't the cause. hope this helps.

chipstick

It had a new track rod actually. I didn't drive much at all before that so it could be that. Hmm. I will have a wiggle and see if there is any play again. Was fine when it was retested after fitting, but could of worked loose.

Drop links, no idea what they are. I could try removing it. Wasn't aware it would be drivable with one removed if I'm honest

205kenny

You will be fine driving it with a drop link/ anti roll bar link removed. Also its not always easy finding play in a drop link when a car is jacked up. Its easy on a four post ramp.

Have you had the front wheels jacked up and checked for any play? That would rule out tre's bottom, ball joints ect.

cybernck

Also check subframe bolts.