• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kenp

That Extra Washer On Top The Strut Insert...

kenp

Had both the struts off the Rallye today to fit group N top mounts and new bearings...

I discovered one side had the washer between the cone thing (above the bearing) and the insert (the one that isn't shown on the exploded diagrams). The other side didn't have it.

I had of course, done the side without the washer first and refitted without realising there should have been a washer there...

When I came to do the other side (with the washer) I found that leaving it in meant there were not enough threads protruding on the strut when it came to fitting the centre nut.

So I re-assembled that side without the washer also.

I've perused all the various threads that mention this washer but I'm still none the wiser to it's purpose (or as to why it's not shown on the exploded diagrams in the parts cd).

So, what exactly is it/s purpose - is it just for extra strength or for some other reason?

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to decide if there's a good enough reason for pulling the struts apart again and fitting washers to both sides (although I'm concerned about the lack of threads left for the centre nut)...

Edited by kenp

kenp

So, this morning I took both top nuts off the struts (while still in car, on it's wheels) and removed the inverted cup. In doing so, I was able to compare both cones and it immediately became apparent that something wasn't quite right...

The o/s cone was flat-topped (as it should be) however the n/s one was domed, see pic (dodgy one on the right)...

post-5416-0-60387700-1332446666.png

Once I'd taken the struts off again, it was even more apparent...

post-5416-0-24984900-1332446695.png

It was the n/s strut (with the domed cone) that had the washer missing, so it''s apparent that the washer is there to add strength. I'm guessing that at some point maybe a centre nut has come loose on an event with a previous owner and the strut has hammered into the cone (normally it would be clamped tight). The underside of the cone showed quite severe wear caused by the strut moving against it.

I'd not realised that the cone shouldn't be domed like that since this was the first time I'd had a 205 strut apart, and I'd been doing one side at a time.

Sourced a decent cone and another washer, put everything back together, and hey presto, no more clonking and the struts show equal amounts of threads now. Job done :)

Edited by kenp
  • Like 1

Miles

Christ that's bad, I know on the phone you said it was conned up but....

timmsy19

wow that is coned!!

When you say 'clonking' would you say it done this while on and off the brake or gas pedel? over bumps etc? i think i've had this issue before if so and i could never get to the bottom of it! even after replacing the turrets etc :S

kenp

wow that is coned!!

When you say 'clonking' would you say it done this while on and off the brake or gas pedel? over bumps etc? i think i've had this issue before if so and i could never get to the bottom of it! even after replacing the turrets etc :S

Over bumps generally but particularly with sudden changes of direction such as a sharp turn in for a corner or slot.

matt.f

Common fault on 106's is the insert popping through and bending the bonnet on rough events.My dads had split after about 3 enduro rallies.

So welded a washer on the underside and it's been fine ever since.

Done the same on my 205

Edited by matt.f

Stephen W

I have just had this same problem, i built up my group N bilsteins up with out the washer by mistake and i found that whilst driving the car the steering would never self centre. I noticed it was a lot tighter to turn the wheel that before.

I guess this is because the nut was clamping down too hard on the top mount bearing? Any one else found this?

Ive put the washers in tonight but as the car is not taxed i wont be able to see if its any better for a few weeks.

Stephen W

ive just re read this back and not sure if ive put th large washer on the correct side :S

Does anyone have any pictures of the order of all the parts?? Thanks.

kenp

There should be a thick washer between the insert and the bell (which is what was missing on one of my struts) and a thinner washer on top of the bell, that the nyloc bolts down on.