• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugdamo

Very Strange Problem

pugdamo

Ill start from where i first noticed a problem,my car had no issues drove fine,i had 2 new front tyres fitted then my steering wheel was pointing off to the right,i couldnt really see how just fitting front tyres would do this but i had 4 wheel alignment done and it was supposed to be fine,i drove away my steering wheel still off to the right,i had 4 wheel alignment done again on saturday just incase it wasnt done properly and they said its fine,it drove fine so i thought about just taking the wheel off and straightening it this way,i swapped my wheels front to rear today and now my steering wheel has gone to the left now,pretty much to the nine o'clock position,i cant see how first changing tyres and now changing wheels is having such a massive effect on my steering,i am so stumped.

Suggestions on a postcard please

welshpug

wishbone bushes, balljoints, ovalled hub pinch clamps, rear beam, rear beam mounts, track rod ends, subframe bolts.

could be a number of things.

205kenny

Did the old tyre's wear evenly?

The garage should of checked for any play in any steering and suspension before doing the 4 wheel alignment, do you know if they did?

pugdamo

Im a mechanic and mot tester which is probably a reason why im so frustrated and embaressed why i cant find this fault,but iv checked all the suspension myself and even put it on our shaker plates on the MOT ramp,no play anywhere,also the guy that tracked it has checked suspension aswell,all seems ok.

Beam was rebuilt before i bought and no play in any of the mounts,iv replaced both lower arms about 6000 miles ago due to worn ball joints,when i replaced them i could physically see the wheels were out and it drove really bad,i had it tracked and the tracking was off the scale,literally all iv done today is swap wheels front to back and the steering has gone way out,just cant get my head around this.

Thankyou for replies though

Dont know if this is important but it does drive fine unless i go on painted lines and then it tramlines quite badly,other than this it drives fine

pugdamo

Did the old tyre's wear evenly?

Yes the old tyres did wear pretty evenly

Tom Fenton

Steering rack to column clamp not tight?

welshpug

ooo good shout tom :)

pugdamo

I will check that because thats something i havnt checked. But sorry to keep being negative but i still dont understand how just swapping wheels from front to rear will make the steering go from being off to the right to now being quite a way off to the left?

Thanks

205kenny

I will check that because thats something i havnt checked. But sorry to keep being negative but i still dont understand how just swapping wheels from front to rear will make the steering go from being off to the right to now being quite a way off to the left?

Thanks

I don't think that changing the wheels from front to rear could cause the steering to change that much.

All that i can think is that having the car jacked up will have upset whatever is causing the issue.(if that makes sense)

pugdamo

I 100% agree,and i know what you mean kenny,im just at a loose end (no pun intended),no play or loose bolts (that i have found) ,i was just after some other things to check,i will check the uj bolt that tom mentioned but i would have thought if this was loose i would have free play in the steering,but at the minuite im happy to check anything that i havnt already checked.

mikeyd

try swapping the front tyres from side to side which would eliminate possible tyre defects---if the wheel changes direction then may have faulty new tyre/s