• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John D

Steering Pulling On And Off Power

John D

Had a bit of an issue with my 205 recently. It started to pull to the right when coming off the power and taking corners at speed (over 60 say) it would do a little wiggle (best I can describe it!) which required minor correction of steering.

Got under the car over the weekend and found the offside front wishbone had some play in it. Tightened up the bolts mounting it to the sub-frame which took away most of the play but not quite all (it would still move fractionally if I pulled on it, whilst the nearside is solid if I do the same).

This seems to have solved it as the car drives ok now as far as I can tell; thing is I've only had the car since Christmas so perhaps its never been quite right and still isn't!?! If I accelerate hard and back off slightly the steering still tugs slightly to the right but nothing major. The mid-corner wiggle has gone completely.

I'm now wondering if something else I noticed when I first got the car is normal or not:

Coming off the power near the top of 5th the steering moves slightly. Feels akin to the release of torque steer. Was a bit 'interesting' the first time it did it but no major drama. I assumed this was simply a trait of a high powered 205 (standard Mi16 on a 1.6 'box in mine). Is it? Or rather an early sign of the problem I suffered recently?

Only car I can compare my 205 to is a 172 Cup I previously owned. It would torque steer, tramline and be generally be quite lively but the 205 is on another level as to be expected. So I don't really have a reference point.

welshpug

that small movement you could still feel, that'll be it.

there shouldn't be any torque steer due to the equal length driveshafts and relatively low torque levels.

Edited by welshpug

John D

What do you mean "that'll be it'?

sambaileyw

I think welsh mean's that the small amount of play you can still feel is the likely cause of the strange lift off pull :)

kyepan

And is probably wishbone bushes, new Peugeot bushes are the way to go, they are fairly cheap and the best quality.

The old ones can be burnt and cut out, the new ones should press in with a vice or some threaded rod and a suitable sized socket.

Edited by kyepan

John D

I think welsh mean's that the small amount of play you can still feel is the likely cause of the strange lift off pull :)

Cheers. It does seem likely something is in need of replacement.

I'll start with bushes.