• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Changing Brake Servo/master Cylinder. Any Tips?

scottbarton

As per title. I have cleaned up a second hand Servo and master cylinder, giving it a good coat of silver and black spray in the process. Anything i should be aware of when I change this out? Will be replacing the brake lines at the same time as mine are rotten...and existing unit is corroded and looks awful!

This is the unit i have cleaned up.

IMG_8037.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

Simes

Flush the system through with cheaply fluid.

Then when you start to refill for real , remember to keep topping it up rather than thinking it will be ok and then realise you've actually been pumping air around!

Anthony

It's not clear whether that's a 2nd hand master cylinder as well, but for the price that they are new, I would personally not use a 2nd hand item unless I was sure of its history and that it was a fairly new item.

The actual swap is straight forward enough - the only thing that I would say is that if it is a 2nd hand cylinder (and really even if it isn't) I would pressure bleed it rather than use the "pump the pedal" method - the later can lead to the internal seals on the MC failing not long after on old MCs and it can be difficult to get a new MC to start bleeding through without some initial pressure.

If the brake lines have not been removed in some time, you might find that the unions are seized and will twist and snap the brake pipe. Worth cracking them off before hand so that you know if you're going to have problems before the car is in pieces and immobile. Same goes for the caliper bleed nipples - crack these off before hand as they can and do snap, particularly 1.9 rears and 1.6 front

allye

I'm really hoping some one posted up a helpful tip for getting the retaining rings off, that hold on the insulating to the pedal box.

I bloody hate those things and end up braking them. (sorry for the hijak buts its related :ph34r: )

Baz

^^ A big screwdriver, pair of pliers and perseverance. :P

rallysteve

a small claw hammer is good for those clips