• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bogsye

Red Carpet

Bogsye

Always wanted a red carpet for my Miami, as it has a grey one.

Well, by complete chance I've gone and laid my hands on a brand spanking new red carpet. Just need to retrim the centre consol and get door cards to suit.

Feeling well chuffed..

Brian

dobbo26

Brand new?

Bogsye

Yep, absolutely fresh out the box.

The chap bought it for a project a few years back, and then it was seemingly the last red one in the dealer network.

It'll put the rest of the car to shame, so I'll have to extend my restoration a bit to redress that balance.

dobbo26

Good find! Much prefer the red carpet than the grey! Enjoy :)

james_pug

Was on eBay wasn't it? Must of cost a fortune when it was brand new!

Bogsye

That's the one - the lad was inundated with folk from abroad and ended up unlisting it. So I made an offer.

205freak

I already had a courier organized for the pick up, my maximum bid was going to be 350quid for the carpet, but unfortunately he unlisted it.

So persons really don´t want to make money nowadays, it´s getting very hard to find some new OE items for the 205 and when they show up impossible to buy : (

French club did a group buy around 2-4 years ago for sparkling brand new carpets, unfortunately only for members who have mint original 205`s and costed 250€€ each.

Congratulations for buying the carpet mate.

chipstick

Your mad if you paid near the £250 IMO. Obviously it is worth that to some people if you are doing a full full resto, but I'm glad my car came with a mint carpet with an unmarked heal plate. Had mats in all it's life obviously.

Bogsye

Cheers 205Freak.

I just messaged the fellow after it was taken down , and a few messages later it was mine. 100 mile round trip on Friday to collect which was worth it.

Bogsye

I'll be investing in some nice mats once the new carpet is in.

Think this will spur on my resto!

I'm still in shock at how little I got this for. Right place, right time I guess :)

205freak

Cheers 205Freak.

I just messaged the fellow after it was taken down , and a few messages later it was mine. 100 mile round trip on Friday to collect which was worth it.

Hi mate, well worth the effort, i was looking for one carpet new or very mint, i´ve just rebuilt my 205 from A-Z, the only piece missing to be closed to perfect it was the carpet!!

Will be looking for one around the french club if i´m lucky : )

Congratulations : )

ponz

Can't someone make new carpets? Surely half the people on this forum would be buying them...

GLPoomobile

You only have to look at the kind of reception that most group buys - even for cheap items in the £30 area - get on this forum, to know that you'd never get a strong enough commitment from anywhere near half of the active members to put this in to production. You'd be lucky to get 10% interested in it.

Going by the comments on the other thread, about the cost involved, you'd probably need more than half of this forum to commit to buy, and pay the money up in front, to get this going.

Unfortunately, with many carpets still being very much recoverable to a good standard simply by thoroughly washing them out of the car, and the fact they aren't getting rare, it's unlikely anyone is going to put their head on the block any time soon by stumping up the cash to get this going.

EDIT: and another thing - cos this really annoys me when people go to the effort to try and start a group buy - you'll always get the awkward gits who have no appreciation for the effort required to put something in to low volume production. So it'll start off as, we need x number of buyers to put a red RHD GTI carpet in to production. Next thing every Tom, d*ck or Harry starts asking for them to be done in LHD, in grey, in green, or in short pile. Then someone will suggest inscripting the GTI logo on, and a few people will say "oh, great idea!" and then people want GTI6, MI16, T16 etc put on them. The group buy loses focus, gets diluted, people lose interest, and it dies before it starts <_<

How's that for a nice positive start to 2013? :P

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 9

GLPoomobile

Yeah, it was on my mind as I typed that rant, but forgot to get it down.

ponz

My carpet is worn, not just dirty.

NFS

just out of interest what year was your 205?

Tom Fenton

You only have to look at the kind of reception that most group buys - even for cheap items in the £30 area - get on this forum, to know that you'd never get a strong enough commitment from anywhere near half of the active members to put this in to production. You'd be lucky to get 10% interested in it.

How's that for a nice positive start to 2013? :P

Bang on comments in my opinion, and that is from my experience of making some bits and bobs.

stufarri

I shaure the same view having looked at a few GBs etc - I hope to be proved wrong though when the driving light protectors go on sale in the PSCUK shop in the coming weeks.

GLPoomobile

Perhaps I should have put my little rant in the Silly Things That Annoy You topic instead :)

I'm just glad that we do have people on here willing to go to these lengths to get new/reproduction products put in to low volume production. Always saddens me when someone tries to start up something like that, or just a group buy in general, and the reception is poor considering the number of members we have.

Hope I didn't put too much of a downer on this topic. Never say never. We probably will see reproduction carpets one day, but I reckon it's a good while off yet. What we really need is for one of our passionate members to win the Lottery and be willing to stake the money up front for ventures like this :D Wish that could be me!

cRaig

Yeah, I agree about the lack of enthusiasm for group buys/repro parts. The difficulty seems to be to convert expressions of interest into people parting with cash!

Still, I think the tide is slowly turning, particularly with regard to reproduction OE style bits, as more and more people start restoring them, and the 205 moves further into the generally accepted 'classic' territory. Only have to look at bits like mudflaps and headlight protectors selling on ebay for silly money!

As more 205s die and the source of parts from breakers becomes more difficult, Im sure more people will look to get bits made, and there are lots of members with the skills and know how so Im sure we'll do ok in the long run!

• Like 1

Slo

Well I cant ever see new carpets going into production unless they are handmade - no tooling costs then, but imagine how long that could take each for one and what would anyone want to work that long for each one.

stufarri

They are heat shrunk are'nt they, so you will always need the tooling to do it properly.

It can be done if the passionate French 205 GTI owners have done it already but 250 Euros each is steep.

I think we need to tap the French lot up and try to use their reformed tooling.

GLPoomobile

Say again? So they've already done it, and they were going for E250? So about £200.

See this is part of the problem, if people think ~£200 for a brand new reproduction carpet is steeply priced, then how is any low volume production going to get started? Seems to be a bit of a theme with 205 GTI enthusiasts on here - tight as a nat's arse :ph34r:

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

I'm with you on this one Steve and it is nice to see the PSC are looking to invest the amount of capital required to kick start such venture by supporting enthusiastic members like cRaig. However without the likes of them, then such initiatives will never get off the ground.