• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
samthornton1990

Best Loctite For Stud Conversion?

samthornton1990

I've had a search on stud conversions and no ones mentioned anything about loctite apart from not to use a really strong one asit'll wreck the threads in the hub.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

Just "normal" Loctite 243 is fine - that's all that I've used, and the studs don't come out normally (but can be taken out if required)

samthornton1990

Cool stuff man. Am I best cleaning them out with a tap first?

Anthony

Shouldn't need a tap unless the threads are a mess, but it will certainly need to be properly cleaned and degreased for the threadlock to work properly.

samthornton1990

Awesome. I'll get some ordered on Friday :)

SurGie

I used a strong pencil type drill brush to get rid of all the rust and dirt etc, then degrease them up.

Daviewonder

I wound a wheel bolt in and out by hand several times that was drenched in brake cleaner. I then dried the holes using some rag.

Rippthrough

If you're not sure you can get it spotless then use 278 ( I think, should be an oil tolerant version of 270), or 243 if you want medium strength.

samthornton1990

Cheers guys, going to retap them I think and then degrease them.... Dads got some loctite left (apparently) from the stud conversion he did on the golf so I think I'll steal some of that ;) if he has enough left!

johnnyboy666

it seems the stuff I used didnt work too well, as about 7 of mine came out when I changed the front shocks on the weekend! :(

Tom Fenton

Get it clean and it will work, tap the thread out then clean with solvent cleaner, brake cleaner will do.

harryskid

I used white sprit and loctite and they are fine now !

Turbo7379

Clean & grease threads thoroughly with cellulose thinners or brake cleaner.

Fit studs using green loctite 270 & fit wheels immediatly in order to tension studs into their normal working position.

Be warned, if used properly any joint made using loctite 270 will not come apart using normal tools. I've actually wrung off m12 bolts that were mistakenly assembled using 270 instead of normal blue threadlock loctite 242. The only way to open a bolt that has been assembled using 270 is to warm it slightly.