• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

What Compensators To Use With Gti6 Calipers?

dino20vt

After a bit of a brown pant moment the other evening I think I may need a couple of rear brake compensators, besides they look like the originals so getting on a bit.

After a bit of digging on Service Box and the Bosch e-Catalogue I've discovered I need either:Peugeot 4861.49/Bosch 0 204 131 048

4861.45 is NFP at Peugeot (although it maybe still available from Bosch 0 204 131 049)

dependant on chassis number.

I'm guessing most 205's out there running GTI6 front calipers still have the standard compensators and are fine but I'm just wondering given the choice are there any others that might work better? (ZX, 309 etc)

PS I'll probably be fitting the larger piston GTI6 rear calipers in the near future.

Any input appreciated.

Edited by dino20vt

Anthony

I've run without compensators previously with GTi-6 front brakes and it's been fine with no rear wheel lock up issues.

Definitely don't try this on standard front brakes though!

welshpug

standard 205 compensators are still available from GSF, come in a bosch box.

if you find they do still lock try 309 or even zx 16v compensators, much higher pressure/

Edited by welshpug

allye

I use 1.9 GTI brake with 1.6 GTI rear beam with no compensators and will lock up the fronts before the rears go.

dino20vt

Forgot to add its a 1.9 shell so running the diagonal split system and still on the standard master cylinder.

• Like 1

Daviewonder

Any idea how much they cost?

welshpug

£30 each IIRC, the zx ones cost nearer £45 each as thy were special order through a Bosch dealer.

from memory the knee point of 205 units is 20 bar, 309 - 25 bar,

zx 16v 30 bar.

Strictly_Derv

Mines got the same problem, bloody scary when that happens. I'm hoping some 266 brakes will sort the issue out, cheaper option too.

dino20vt

if you find they do still lock try 309 or even zx 16v compensators, much higher pressure/

I'm still trying to get my head around how they work but wouldn't 309 or ZX compensators allow more pressure to the rear as they're heavier cars and cause even more locking up (if used with standard brakes anyway)?

welshpug

the locking is said to be on the front, not the rear, allow more pressure to the rear and you might get less locking up front.

tomcolinjones

£30 each IIRC, the zx ones cost nearer £45 each as thy were special order through a Bosch dealer.

from memory the knee point of 205 units is 20 bar, 309 - 25 bar,

zx 16v 30 bar.

so with 205 compensators, the maximum pressure to the rear brakes is 20 bar? and with zx compensators its 30 bar? how does this reduce rear brake lock up? I've always used a single line to the rear, with one compensator before my hydraulic hand brake. always seemed spot on for me.

MiniGibbo

I have 266's up front and tiny drums out back, Locks the fronts without much effort lol..