• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Hi Spec Brake Calliper, Is This Right?

andyjstone

Just got around to swapping my GTI6 brake setup for Hi Spec Billet 4 callipers and disks that came from them to go with it.

Put it all on but the calliper isn't centre to the disk, it is about 3-4mm off centre as in the pic below:

caliperoffcentre.jpg

Now, I'm thinking that maybe provided the calliper doesn't touch the disk the pistons will compensate for the fact that the disk is off centre, but it still doesn't seem right. Has anyone else fitted these and if so did you have the same problem?

welshpug

should be centred if the disc +bracket is the correct combination, would be easy enough to shim the bracket across to compensate for that though, is it the same both sides?

before you shim it over though do check that there's enough thread engagement on the bolts.

Edited by welshpug

andyjstone

That's what I thought - when you say 'shim it over' is it OK just to pack it out with a washer or two or does it need a bit of steel cut to the right size/shape?

welshpug

A shim is an accurately ground washer/spacer, but a standard washer or two would suffice to work out how much you need.

pip470

Ive had this with the last two sets of 4 pots ive had, one was comp brakes and the other is willwoods so im thinking its an issue with my hubs. When i actually tightened the calliper bolts it would make the wheel seize solid as there wasn't enough clearance between the pad and disk. What i used is an old head bolt spacer on both my bolts.

allanallen

Have you spoke to hi-spec about it? If they're new I'd be sending them back.

andyjstone

Have you spoke to hi-spec about it? If they're new I'd be sending them back.

I've sent them an email with the pic, but it was difficult enough buying them to start with, so I don't expect support is going to be very good :(

allanallen

I've always found them fairly helpful on the phone and ive never spent a penny with them! I used second hand calipers and made my own mounts.

Miles

As said have a word with them, as they cannot expect you to make shims up to fix it

I just sent a pattern 6 head-gasket back as it had the tab's sticking into the cambelt area and I'm not bending them when they should be fit for purpose out the box.

andyjstone

OK, spoke to Hi Spec today and they said that the 'washers' they sent with the callipers were actually 'shims' and should be used to 'adjust' the position of the callipers to centre them on the disks - precision engineering, eh?

I did what Hi Spec suggested and ‘shimmed’ the callipers to fit – well stuffed in 2.5mm thick washers one side and 1.5mm the other, which wasn't what they supplied, but I had lying around in the garage and it all lines up OK now. Fitted the pads, put in the brake fluid and bled it all through and worked fine, all good.

Thought I’d throw the wheels back on and take it for a quick spin, only after putting the wheels back on they don’t turn, they just jam against the callipers. The new disks are offset inwards a bit more than the old ones, but it obviously isn’t enough to clear the wheels as they have pistons on the outside. I’ll call Hi Spec in the morning, but the only option I can see is to get different wheels or get some spacers, anyone any other thoughts?

allanallen

That's s*it, send them back. Why the hell would you make a brake bracket that needs spacing out to fit?! It's a model specific kit so it should fit perfectly with no messing IMO.

As for wheel clearance, did they state they fit under the standard wheels? Most off the shelf big brake kits available don't unfortunately.

andyjstone

Well this is what I bought: http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/Pug285B4.html which is a 205 1.9 conversion and I checked the wheel clearances and it looked OK and it does say it is for the standard wheel, which is what I have.

andyjstone

OK, an update as I have been arguing with Hi Spec for the past week or so! Had to shim the callipers into the car using 2.5mm thick washers to make the callipers centre on the disks, which they supplied. Then when I bolted the wheels on they hit the callipers, so phoned Hi Spec and they told me I should check their wheel clearance drawing on line (which doesn't work) as I probably need spacers. Bought some 5mm spacers, but the wheels still clip the callipers so phoned Hi Spec again who told me I should have checked the wheel clearance drawing as they couldn't guarantee the callipers would fit under the wheels!

They did offer for me to take the car over to them and they would fit longer wheel studs and bigger spacers to make it fit, but it would end up looking like a beach buggy.

Now going to send them back and hopefully get a refund. I don't understand how they can get away with selling a brake upgrade kit for 205 1.9, which doesn't fit on a standard 1.9 hub/1.9 wheel set-up, surely they should state this as it doesn't make any sense. Apart from this, if the calliper does actually fit under any 15" wheels and they have tested it (which surely they must) then why don't they state what wheels it will fit under.

Thoroughly peed off now, does anyone know any other lightweight (don't have to be 4 pot) callipers, just want something lighter than the GTI6 set up I had on, that will fit under standard wheels?

welshpug

pug/citroen Sport AP's fit, not cheap though, and need a custom bell for a standard rotor, which funnily enough comes from Hi-spec in the thread below.

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=75803

Part numbers:

Caliper - CP5106 - 5S4:Peugeot (I think any CP5106 caliper would be the same)

Pads - Any CP3345 pad (from various makes inc EBC, Mintex, Pagid, Ferodo)

Hoses - standard

EdCherry

Shimming callipers is pretty standard motorsport wise and these kind of things.

Edited by EdCherry

allanallen

Shimming callipers is pretty standard motorsport wise and these kind of things.

This is very true but andys bought an off the shelf Peugeot kit so it should bolt straight on,no ifs or buts!

andyjstone

This is very true but andys bought an off the shelf Peugeot kit so it should bolt straight on,no ifs or buts!

Yes, and the web site lists it as 'Peugeot 106, 205 & 306 285/22mm Billet 4 Conversion', so surely it should fit on a 205 with standard wheels or they should state that it doesn't and list it as something else and say that it will fit a 205, but with XYZ wheels.

andyjstone

pug/citroen Sport AP's fit, not cheap though, and need a custom bell for a standard rotor, which funnily enough comes from Hi-spec in the thread below.

http://www.106rallye...ead.php?t=75803

Part numbers:

Caliper - CP5106 - 5S4:Peugeot (I think any CP5106 caliper would be the same)

Pads - Any CP3345 pad (from various makes inc EBC, Mintex, Pagid, Ferodo)

Hoses - standard

I can't access that page, it tells me I don't have permission!

What do I ened to buy apart from the callipers and pads, I currently have GTI6 disk (283mm I think), can I re-use these or do I need to change them?

Redtop

I don't know if AP do a Full kit for the 205 GTI, but for another car that we have, BG brakes made the mounts for the calipers to be mounted and the whole kit was just a bolt on job with little to no modification required. With the wheels we were running all we had to do was buff a small amount off an edge if the calipers which was minimal. It was excellent service too and I'd use them again.