• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Lowering Front Without Rear

chipstick

I've got -30 Eibach springs ready to go on.

Is it a bad idea to fit the lowering springs without setting the rear to match?

As it is only 30mm I was wondering if it was possible to leave the rear as is.

Wouldn't be an extreme amount of rake would it?

Baz

Yes i'm afraid it's a bad idea.

Tom Fenton

If it is just a short term thing then whilst not ideal it will work and you can "get away" with it, although given lowering is usually done to improve looks, the car will look a bit silly with a low front and arse in the air. Longer term its better to set the beam to match, handling, braking are compromised with uneven ride height and hence weight distribution.

Cameron

Yeah don't do it if you can avoid it, more because it looks weird than anything!

MiniGibbo

Looks better than the rear rake most cars are sporting you see down the local mcdonalds lol..

chipstick

I only have a few weeks until I take it out on track for the first time so wanted to sort suspension.

I don't have enough time/knowledge to strip the beam down in that time. Knowing my luck it would need a full rebuild and I would run out of time which I can't afford to happen.

So I was thinking I either leave standard suspension on, or at least make the front a tad stiffer.

welshpug

just leave it as it is till you sort the rear out.

eddie bullit

Chavtastic!

chipstick

Chavtastic!

Hardly.

I wanted peoples opinions and reasons why it would/wouldn't be a good idea to try and stiffen the front up and not yet lower the rear for a track day, or leave it standard.

Henry Yorke

My first Junior D 205 had the front lowered and not the rear. It exagerates lift off oversteer, so I would not advise that you take it on track in that set up as it may be more likely to catch you out if you are not used to it. Also I think the angling may impact the rear brake compensators if it is a 1.9, though I don't think it would be a major issue.

A cars handling is all about balance. If your front end outperforms the rear then you can get into trouble.

Stance!

post-3457-0-86568300-1330802977_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

allanallen

Stance!

post-3457-0-86568300-1330802977_thumb.jpg

You want sum phat bee-hatches in v back ov vat bruv!

• Like 1

Miles

Stick some bag's of sand in the boot, Easy way to lower anything and what we did when displaying new cars

• Like 1

eddie bullit

Hardly.

I wanted peoples opinions and reasons why it would/wouldn't be a good idea to try and stiffen the front up and not yet lower the rear for a track day, or leave it standard.

:lol: only pulling y leg! just brings back memories of the 90's and boy racers

allye

I did this with the Rallye when it had the 1360 in it. Didn't look too silly and still went rounf corners well. I haven't done it but I'm sure you could do the rears Dan

carsmall-.png

• Like 1

sensualt101

i think lowering the front without matching the rear could make the car unstable and therefore unsafe so i would wait until you could do the front and rear together!

chipstick

I did this with the Rallye when it had the 1360 in it. Didn't look too silly and still went rounf corners well. I haven't done it but I'm sure you could do the rears Dan

It probably is a piece of cake to do skill wise when you know what your doing, but knowing my luck something would fail and I would be up s*it creek without a paddle and have to take a different car on track. I was set on using the 205 so would rather use it with stock suspension (which to be fair, is very good even for fast road) than risk messing the beam up.

Henry Yorke

It sounds like you have a good plan there. Probably best to refurbish the axle at the same time as lowering it, but it is easy if you have pulling tools, a press, a heat source, the cash for new parts and the knowledge!

Obviously a lot can be done by a big hammer, but I wouldn't break it just before your track day

Anthony

Personally, the last thing I would be doing before your first trackday is changing the suspension that you're familiar with and putting something else on there, especially if you're not doing the whole job.

You're wise to avoid taking the beam apart before a trackday though, as the strong likelihood is that if the beam has never been apart and been rebuilt previously then it will be in a sorry state when you strip it - and even if it is in good nick, disturbing 20 odd year old seals and bearings will likely result in it dying in a few months time if not replaced.

Personally, I would factor in that it will need a rebuild and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

Also, freeing off the torsion bars if they're seized in place (as is often the case) with it all still on the car is not fun at all, and there's only so much that things like a slide hammer or Tom Fenton's useful puller tool will do - sometimes, you need to take the complete arm off and press the torsion bar out with a hydraulic press.

Basically, in summary, leave the suspension as-is and factor in doing the whole job properly as and when you have the money and the time to do so.

• Like 1

kenp

I have the same issue with my Rallye - it was originally built for endurance rallying, and when the previous owner had the beam rebuilt he deliberately had it set higher because he used to carry two spare wheels + other spares. I use the car for road rallying and only carry one spare wheel and a tool bag, hence it sits high at the back.

The first (and currently only) event I did with it last year I did find it had a tendency for snap-oversteer (much more than any GTi I've ever owned). Caught me out completely once when we arrived at a junction backwards :huh: . Still, amused one of the other crews :D .

I had hoped to get it sorted before the next event but that's looking unlikely so we'll probably run with an extra spare in the boot to help it a bit.

As Anthony says, probably best to leave it alone till after your track day, especially if as you say, it handles ok as it is.

Edited by kenp

Tom Fenton

Also I think the angling may impact the rear brake compensators if it is a 1.9,

The 1.9 compensators work by regulating line pressure, rake if the car will not affect how they work. The 1.6 compensator (one only, lives on the NS chassis rail) does work on rake of the car and would be affected.

tunnicliffe

i had the front lowered and not the back on one of my old gti's it had awful lift off oversteer you dont want that on a track day

Mad Scientist

My rally car is currently lower at the front. Was like that on the last two track days I did. It does make the rear a little easier to break away. Simple solution, don't lift off mid corner.