• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mech205eng

Sunroof Dilema

mech205eng

I've been stripping my car this week for it to go to paint. It's a sunroof model which wasn't through choice, just availability. But It's not like I had my heart set on a non-sunroof.

I removed the sunroof a few days ago and it didn't go well, I got the glass and runners/sliders out fine but the seal that is bolted across the width of the car just at the back of the sunroof hole, it is held in with 8 TRX bolts if i remember, well half of these the heads sheered off from rust. The plastic cover trim that clips onto the runners, snapped a few clips on one of them so will need a new one. Plus the car is getting caged before painting so refitting the interior sunroof parts that fix to the roof will be difficult.

So what i'm really asking for is if people think it'll be better to weld a plate in place of the glass and have the roof fillered or mess about re-fitting the original and i would have to get hold of couple of new bits of trim and do something to brighten up all the other trim, dig snapped bolts out and probably replace with regular nuts and washers.

Also has anyone had any leaking issues after replacing a once removed sunroof.

Right have at it!

stu8v

bite the bullet and fit a full roof. it will make the best job especially if your having paint.

mech205eng

What do you mean fit a full roof stu?

sensualt101

plating and filling will be difficult to get to look correct so if you plan on not having a sunroof replace the whole roof skin!

not only will it be stronger it will have a complete surface to paint with no worry about stress cracks in filler!

pugpete1108

do not try welding a plate in the roof, trust me i did it and ended up scrapping the car because of it.

no matter how hard you try it WILL warp.

either replace the whole skin (if you can get one) or plate over the hole with ally and rivets.

stu8v

i fitted one off another car. i was told pug have stopped doing the roof panels now, not sure how accurate this info is as i never checked myself.

mech205eng

Thanks for the advice, i think the best thing to do will be to re-fit the sunroof and source some good condition second hand parts from stripped cars