• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Changed Outer Rhs Cv Boot, Now Pulling To Right Under Load

kyepan

Super confused on this one, really confused

Ryan changed the outer CV boot for me yesterday (by taking the inner tripod joint off and sliding it off)

Now it pulls to the right under constant load,

And lots under acceleration,

snaps left when you lift

and not when coasting.

?!?!??!??!??!?

It's similar to very very very fubard wishbone bushes... but it's not the bushes 100% because it was fine before the driveshaft gaiter was done.

Super confused and need a quick answer, as it has knock on effects upon the weekends planning.

The bitch s*itbox french slag strikes again, i send her to someone else to look at and she behaves like a spoilt little girl. Match and petrol a distinct alternative right now.

Tom Fenton

Ball joint, ball joint clamp, oval hub.

Anthony

Hub-wishbone clamp bolt torqued up properly (or likely, at all) as that's the only obvious suspension related thing that would have been touched?

Certainly sounds like wishbone bushes though, but I can't really see how you could damage them even if you manhandled the wishbone out of the way when fitting the driveshaft.

If you jack it up, do both wheels turn freely and without binding/resistance, and no play/movement in anything?

kyepan

Logical answers. we shall see what it is.

Tom Fenton

Has the entire shaft been out of the car? If so check the intermediate bearing hockey stick bolts too. Doesn't make it clear in your post whether it has or not though.

kyepan

yep the entire shaft came out, hocky sticks should have been checked as we discussed that.

kyepan

bottom ball joint pinch bolt - checked

driveshaft has been taken apart and put back together again and it's fine,

No resistance to rotation with the half shaft, and then full shaft in.

Apparently the hub came out easily by widening the pinch bolt slightly with a chisel (this is the old technique i used to use)

Anthony

I have a near-new 205 O/S/F wishbone if you want to try it to rule out it being a bush issue given that is what the symptoms point at?

Paul_13

It's a 309 wishbone Ant :(

kyepan

Thanks ant, I agree with the method, rule out the most likey causes based on the symptoms rather than what was taken apart.

Daviewonder

The exact same thing happened to my 1.6 when I replaced a driveshaft. I never did find out what was causing it and it just went away over time.

kyepan

Anthony suggested it might be tyres...Solved... and daviewonder... i may have an answer about why it went over time.

I have two goodyear eagle f1's on the rear, and two falkens on the front.

One of the falkens had been put back on the rear.. swapped back to the front ant the issue has vanished.

also i think they have been switched over too, as it's pulling a smidge to the left now, will swap the fronts to check.

so - with a diff, be careful what tyres you put on!

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

Apparently the hub came out easily by widening the pinch bolt slightly with a chisel (this is the old technique i used to use)

please dont do this!!!!