• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

Lightest 15 Inch Wheels? And What Size/offset Etc.

Mad Scientist

I am thinking of putting some pretty serious brakes on my 205 and think I will need a motorsport specific wheel.

First thing I'd like to know, is what are the lightest none mag wheels about? Team Dynamics Pro Race seem quite light. Is there anything much lighter for sensible money.

Secondly, I presume 15x7 in et15 would be the way to go. Would these fit in the standard arches with 205 beam on the back and 309 wishbones. I use 195/50 15 R888s and equivalents. I don't want to be cutting back the arches.

Cheers.

Pete

allanallen

My 205 runs the exact set-up you describe (well et16 but close enough) and they fit spot on under the standard arches.

Oz Ultra and superleggras are fairly light aswell. Rota attacks ate pretty light too.

Al

wicked

I've OZ superleggera's in 16", indeed very light

OZ Superleggera

Cast

15x7

11.5lbs

5.2kg

OZ Superleggera

Cast

16x7

14.6lbs

6.6kg

Edited by wicked

Mad Scientist

Those oz wheels are very light. I think they are 1kg lighter than the pro race. Thing is, is the extra 1kg worth the extra 50% in price? I could get 6 pro race 1.2s for the price of 4 superleggeras. I need 6 at least for different tyres. I intend to have 6 dry tyres on the new wheels, and 2 wets. The other wets can go on standard wheels and run on the back.

I reckon my new brakes will save a couple of kg unsprung weight, and at lease a kg on the calipers.

welshpug

its going to be a stage rally car isnt it? I wouldn't be going for the mega light wheels tbh, some of the stages can be quite rough even when its meant to be a tarmac rally.

Mad Scientist

I do have that in mind too, but the pro race are quite well used in the push and shove racing world.

Tbh though, I like the look of pro race 3, and they look a bit tougher.

Extra 1kg a wheel though.

harryskid

I run 1900 wheels on my rally car with gti6 brakes and they work fine. I only do tarmac events and as Welshpug says they can be quite rough ie potholes, ruts stones ect lots driven over at 100mph + so you need a good strong wheel. 1900 wheels are cheap to replace, i run around 26 of em at the moment.

Mad Scientist

I know mate, and I have a stack of 1.9 wheels. I don't think they will fit over 6 pot brakes with 285mm rotors though. I'm not keen on spacers.

Edited by Mad Scientist

welshpug

depends on the offset of your rotors, they may well fit if they are deep enough :)

A friend has some old bremsport 4 pots on 285's under standard 1.9 wheels.

Mad Scientist

I'll try them first. Would be a bonus.

Baz

I and a few friends have 285's under 15's.

Rota's are bloody light, as are C5's as many will doubt say, but they're piss weak.

Just run 1.9 wheels for the stages though, they're cheap, strong and plentiful.

engine killer

I am currently running the Team Dynamic Pro Race (probably the 1st generation). They are very light especially when comparing with Compomotive (but Compo are robust!). I have AP Racing's CP5200 with 304mm disc installed, tried the 315mm disc but it just give too little room between caliper and the wheel. So I would assume most 4 pot with not more than 300mm disc will fit in the 15" Pro Race perfectly.

post-4860-0-03557200-1330050392_thumb.jpg

I have standard 205 beam with Skip Brown caster kit for the rear, the extra width added to the beam may be similar to the 309 beam's width.

By the way, I have experimence running big spacers on all legs, they rub the inner arches everytime when the car lean on a side especially when loaded. But after a few months you will see the inner part of the arch mouldings are nicely smoothed out a curve.

Edited by engine killer
  • Like 1

Mad Scientist

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like they might fit under the standard wheels, which would be tremendous. Going to pick them up and have a go.

gsidave

I found pro race 1s to be the lightest. But have happily used 1.2 before. There all of strong construction, not convinced by the 3 seem heavier.

petert

Secondly, I presume 15x7 in et15 would be the way to go.

No, you'd need an offset <10mm for a 7" rim, or else the tyre may foul on the strut. For example, a 15 x 6.75 SL434 is ET8. You need to draw standard rim in cross section, then overlay the new rim width and offset to see where the rim width goes.

post-2864-0-68460600-1330149078_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

allanallen

No, you'd need an offset <10mm for a 7" rim, or else the tyre may foul on the strut. For example, a 15 x 6.75 SL434 is ET8. You need to draw standard rim in cross section, then overlay the new rim width and offset to see where the rim width goes.

15x7 et15 with 195/50/15s fits with standard struts. If your running coilovers you may need to run shorter springs.

Edited by allanallen

Cameron

I ran a set of Pro Race 1.2 in 15" x 7" ET15, fitted with 195/50/15 tyres and had no clearance issues whatsoever. :)

The Pro Race has one of the best caliper clearances around too, I can fit 295mm rotors with 4-pots under them no problem.

Edit - Also, the OZ Ultraleggera is probably the lightest you can get in 1 piece construction, 0.9kg lighter than the equivalent PR1.2.

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

I've had an ET28 x 6.5 rim on a 309 with no spacers!

petert

It's only a problem when you run big (300+ lbs) springs on coil overs and the tyre rubs on the spring bases/nuts. I assumed if you're running 7" wheels on a 205 you must be building something serious.

Cameron

Mine were 350lb springs on Gaz Golds.

Baz

I have some 7" ET20's that fit fine, not perfect but clearance is fine.

stefan

I have AP Racing's CP5200 with 304mm disc installed, tried the 315mm disc...

Sorry to go off topic but I must ask. What bracket did you use to mount those calipers, please? Is it the AP Racing kit for the 306?

That's a nice setup you've got there.

engine killer

Sorry to go off topic but I must ask. What bracket did you use to mount those calipers, please? Is it the AP Racing kit for the 306?

That's a nice setup you've got there.

it is the kit from AP Racing local dealer, iirc it is the same kit for 306 and probably for most pug too. the same kit i used for running 315mm disc too when i run the 16" wheel. just skim 5mm off the bracket to suit the 304mm disc.