• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
locosaki

Interior Sound Proofing

locosaki

I'm looking to try and reduce noise in my car, There is currently no sound proofing at all in the car just a carpet.

I've seen various opinions regarding this, IE Flashing tape that you heat on and dynamat etc etc.

What is the preferred way of doing this, Flashing tape seems like it would make a hell of a mess to the floor as it's bitumen based and requires heat to set.

What area should I be looking to apply the sound proofing, Is it basically floor of car and boot floor ?

Finally, Is this really likely to reduce the noise dramatically

benny205mi16

Hello, I bought a full kit from noise killer, I think (I'll check the name when I get home later) it comes pre cut to the required shapes of the car. I have not fitted it yet but will be soon. If I remember correct it was £99 + £10 p&p but again I'll check later. From looking at the kit it seams to be good, it's a full kit, car, bonnet and boot its made from different materials depending on where it's going in the car.

johnnyboy666

i'd avoid the bitumen, as said it'd be messy and outdated. Dynomat is awesome stuff, worked wonders on my doors, but it would be very expensive to do the whole car in it. there are cheaper versions of it but im not sure if they have the same effect. i intend to use some of the cheaper stuff on my boot floor

Tesstuff

I used a combination of liquid soundproofing and Xsara Vts soundproofing in my car.

Plenty breaking the Xsara's who will dump the excellent soundproofing that it has. Get in touch and pick it up for pence. The boot soundproofing in the Xsara is wonderful and makes a brilliant swap for the 205 item with a little trim.

The liquid soundproofing is brush or spray on and their figures suggest it lowers noise by 3 decibels IIRC.

johnnyboy666

do you have a link for the liquid stuff daz? last time i searched I could only find 10gallon drums of it and such like

Tesstuff

do you have a link for the liquid stuff daz? last time i searched I could only find 10gallon drums of it and such like

I will have a look for you, I bought a 3 litre tub.

The company I purchased mine from was Noisekiller, but they appear to have discontinued it now.

It is a marine product for masking the vibrations that come through from the diesel engines.

I just had a look for equivalents and the product by Noxudol is the same thing. They offer 600ml cans as well as 1 gallon tubs.

Seems I have a rare product now no longer sold!!

Edited by Tesstuff

S@m

I used bodyline sound deadening panels that you heat up and stick on(can't find these anymore, just had very very old stock in work), but i've only done the outer door skins so far. Made a slight difference to speaker sound but a bigger difference to the sound the doors make when you shut them, just need to do the inners skins now - probably with dynamat or equivalent. Then the boot floor and under the rear seats perhaps.

pugpete1108

I've used flashing tape over the whole of my floor, only one layer with no mess at all?

Although not used on the road yet I can already hear the difference when the car is running.

I've put pu foam carpet underlay over this also then carpet.

The flashing doesn't work out that cheap when you add up how much you need( maybe 5 rolls to do the whole car, including doors boot and inner rear wings) but the Foam underlay was like £20 for enough for the whole car.

Still under £100 for every panel sound proofed cant be bad?